Blackened Fish Taco Bowls
These fresh and healthy fish taco bowls are filled with blackened white fish, corn and black bean salsa, and topped with cilantro avocado crema!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 avocado pitted and roughly chopped
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro
- zest of 1 lime
- Juice of half a lime
- pinch of kosher salt and black pepper
- 1 Tbsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper or less, to taste
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/8 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 -1 tsp kosher salt more or less, to taste
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Zest of 1 lime
- 4-6 tilapia filets or other white fish filet of your choice
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- drizzle of vegetable oil
- 1 cup corn kernels if using frozen - thaw them
- 2/3 cup red onion diced
- 1 jalapeno seeded and finely diced
- 10 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- Fresh cilantro, diced avocado, shredded lettuce, shredded purple cabbage, lime wedges, sour cream, etc whatever you would like
Combine seasonings (chili powder, cumin, cayenne, paprika, onion powder, oregano) in a small dish, then rub seasoning mix into the fish filets.
Heat a large skillet over MED HIGH heat with a drizzle of vegetable oil. Add minced garlic and saute for about 20 seconds. Then add 2 tilapia filets.
Once you add the filets, don’t move them, let them really sear. Cook for 2-3 minutes, then carefully flip over and cook another 2 minutes or so.
Fish should be cooked until opaque, white and flaky throughout. Remove filets to a plate, sprinkle with half the lime zest and repeat with remaining filets.
Add another drizzle of vegetable oil to the same skillet, still over MED HIGH heat. Add corn, red onion and jalapeno to the skillet.
Cook for 1-2 minutes without stirring, really letting them sear. After 1-2 minutes, stir and cook another couple of minutes until they’re tender and caramelized.
Add black beans and cook another minute.
Add rice (if using any) to a bowl, then top with some of the corn salsa, pieces of blackened fish, a drizzle of avocado crema, and any additional toppings you’d like.
Calories: 339kcal | Carbohydrates: 24g | Protein: 30g | Fat: 15g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 77mg | Sodium: 168mg | Potassium: 840mg | Fiber: 8g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 923IU | Vitamin C: 9mg | Calcium: 91mg | Iron: 3mg