Cheesy Chicken Tortilla Casserole
Made with no condensed soups, this cheesy chicken tortilla casserole is loaded with Mexican flavors, and can be easily prepped ahead for a weeknight!
Prep Time15 mins
Cook Time40 mins
Total Time55 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 Tbsp butter
- 1/2 large yellow onion, diced
- 2-3 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken stock
- 1 1/2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 cups salsa verde (use your favorite brand)
- 3 cups cooked shredded chicken
- 15 oz can of cannellini or other white beans, drained and rinsed
- 4 oz can of mild diced green chiles, drained
- 1 cup minced fresh cilantro
- 15 oz bag of tortilla chips, roughly crushed
- 3 1/2 cups shredded Monterey Jack cheese, divided
- additional fresh cilantro, for garnish
- diced avocado, for garnish
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Spray a 3 qt. baking dish (like a 9x13 pan) with nonstick spray and set aside.
Add butter to a deep pot (I like to use my enameled dutch oven), over MED heat. Add onions and cook until softened and fragrant, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook about a minute more, stirring frequently.
Add flour, cumin, oregano, cayenne and salt and pepper to taste and stir to combine. Slowly pour in chicken stock and cream, stirring as you pour, until combined. Bring to a simmer and cook until slightly thickened (enough that it coats the back of a wooden spoon).
Add 1 cup of the cheese to the cream sauce, stirring in until melted. Remove from heat and add shredded chicken, white beans, green chiles, salsa verde and cilantro and stir to combine.
Add a handful of the crushed tortilla chips to the bottom of prepared baking dish, enough to loosely cover it. Top with 1/3 of the chicken mixture, more crushed tortilla chips and 1/3 of the remaining cheese.
Repeat with another 1/3 of the chicken mixture, more tortilla chips and 1/2 of the remaining cheese. Top with last bit of the chicken mixture, the last bit of the tortilla chips and remaining cheese.
Spray some aluminum foil with nonstick spray and cover the baking dish (sprayed side down), and bake for 30 minutes. Remove foil and bake another 8-10 minutes until bubbly and golden brown.
Garnish with cilantro and serve hot.
Calories: 784kcal | Carbohydrates: 51g | Protein: 33g | Fat: 51g | Saturated Fat: 24g | Cholesterol: 153mg | Sodium: 1117mg | Potassium: 487mg | Fiber: 5g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 1445IU | Vitamin C: 4.1mg | Calcium: 541mg | Iron: 3.5mg