Lemon Chicken Soup with Orzo
Comforting and light, this Lemon Chicken Soup with Orzo is ready in about 30 minutes!
Prep Time5 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 2 carrots, peeled and diced
- 1 stalk celery, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 4 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 cup dried orzo pasta, uncooked
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary
- 1 sprig fresh oregano
- juice of 1 lemon
- 2 tsp fresh parsley, minced
Add olive oil and 1 tablespoon butter to a large dutch oven or stockpot and heat over medium heat. Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt and pepper. Add chicken to dutch oven and cook 3-4 minutes per side, until golden brown and cooked through. Set chicken aside on a plate.
Add remaining butter to dutch oven, then add onion, carrots, celery and garlic. Cook, stirring often, until soft, about 3 minutes. Stir in dried thyme.
Pour in chicken broth and water, using a wooden spoon to scrape up any browned bits in the bottom of the dutch oven. Bring to a boil.
While soup is coming up to a boil, shred chicken using two forks. Once soup is starting to boil, stir in shredded chicken, orzo, bay leaf and add sprigs of rosemary and oregano. Reduce heat and simmer 10-12 minutes, until orzo is tender.
Remove and discard bay leaf and rosemary/oregano sprigs. Stir in lemon juice and fresh parsley. Taste and adjust seasonings if necessary.
SLOW COOKER DIRECTIONS:
- Omit butter and olive oil from recipe.
- Add all ingredients except orzo, lemon juice and parsley. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-8 hours or HIGH for 3-4 hours.
- 30 minutes before serving, remove bay leaf, rosemary and oregano sprigs, and shred chicken.
- Add orzo, lemon juice and parsley. Cover and cook on LOW for 30 minutes. Stir every 10 minutes or so to prevent sticking.
INSTANT POT DIRECTIONS:
- Turn pot on to the sauté setting. When the pot is hot add the olive oil. Add the onion, carrots and celery and saute about 3 minutes.
- Add the chicken, salt, pepper, dried thyme and garlic. Stir.
- Add the broth, water, lemon juice, bay leaf, rosemary, oregano, and orzo. Stir.
- Secure the lid and set the steam release to the sealing position.
- Press the pressure cook or manual button, then press the +/- button to select 3 minutes.
- When cooking is completed, release the steam/pressure in short bursts at first, then longer bursts, until you're sure none of the soup will spew out from too much pressure. Fully open the steam release.
- Stir in parsley and serve.
Calories: 193kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 7g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Cholesterol: 10mg | Sodium: 267mg | Potassium: 308mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 3545IU | Vitamin C: 3.4mg | Calcium: 36mg | Iron: 1mg