French Onion Baked Chicken
Juicy chicken breasts absolutely smothered in saucy caramelized onions and loads of gooey cheese!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time50 mins
Total Time1 hr
Servings: 4 servings
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 4-5 large yellow or white onions peeled and sliced in half
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 sprigs fresh thyme (or 1/2 tsp dried)
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp balsamic vinegar (or red wine or sherry)
- 2/3 cup reduced sodium beef broth divided
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella or gruyere
- 1/3 cup shredded parmesan (fresh is best)
Heat a large skillet over MED/MED-HIGH heat. Add butter and olive oil and sliced onions. Season with 1/4 tsp pepper. Add thyme sprigs and cook 8 minutes, stirring very occasionally.
While onions are cooking, preheat oven to 400 F degrees and butter a 9x13" baking dish. Set aside.
After 8 minutes, reduce the heat on the pan of onions down to MED/MED-LOW, and cook another 15 minutes or so, stirring occasionally.
Stir in garlic, cook 1 minute. Stir in balsamic vinegar and 1/3 cup of the beef broth. Stir and cook another minute or so, until onion mixture is thick and jam-like in consistency.
Add about a 1/2 cup of the caramelized onions to the prepared baking dish and add the remaining 1/3 cup beef broth to the dish. Stir.
Season chicken breasts on both sides with salt, black pepper, dried thyme and garlic powder. Arrange chicken in prepared baking dish and top each breast with a generous spoonful of caramelized onions.
Top chicken and onions with mozzarella and parmesan.
Bake 25 minutes, or until chicken is cooked to an internal temperature of 165 F degrees.
- Caramelized onions can be made 1-3 days ahead and kept refrigerated in an airtight container.
ONE PAN VERSION
You will need an oven-safe skillet for this version (such as cast iron)
- Complete steps 1 - 4. Transfer all but 1/2 cup of the onions to a plate.
- Add remaining 1/3 beef broth to the skillet.
- Arrange seasoned chicken breasts on top of the onions in the skillet.
- Top with caramelized onions and cheese.
- Bake as directed, in skillet.
Calories: 544kcal | Carbohydrates: 17g | Protein: 60g | Fat: 25g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 195mg | Sodium: 1019mg | Potassium: 1175mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 7g | Vitamin A: 612IU | Vitamin C: 15mg | Calcium: 292mg | Iron: 2mg