Red Velvet Brownies with Marshmallow Cream Cheese Frosting
Rich and flavorful red velvet brownies are slathered in an ultra creamy marshmallow and cream cheese frosting, then decorated with holiday sprinkles!
Prep Time25 mins
Cook Time25 mins
Total Time50 mins
Servings: 12 servings
- 2 cups all purpose flour
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks)
- 1 cup water
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp red food coloring (I used 2 - 0.5oz bottles)
- 1/2 cup softened unsalted butter
- 8 oz softened cream cheese
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract or vanilla bean paste
- 13 oz jar of marshmallow creme sometimes called marshmallow fluff
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups powdered sugar sifted
- 1/4 tsp salt
- assorted holiday sprinkles/decorations
Preheat oven to 350 degrees and spray a 13x9" baking pan with non-stick baking spray. In the bowl of a stand mixer, combine flour, sugar, baking soda and salt. Whisk to combine.
To a medium sized saucepan, add butter and water. Heat over MED heat until butter is melted into the water. Add cocoa powder and whisk to combine. Bring to a boil while stirring very often, then remove from heat and let cool slightly.
Add melted cocoa mixture to the flour mixture and beat on MED speed until combined.Add eggs, buttermilk, vanilla and red food coloring and beat an additional minute or until just combined.
At this point the batter will be thin. Transfer batter to prepared baking pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean or with very few moist crumbs on it.
Cool completely on a wire rack.
To the bowl of a stand mixer, add softened butter, salt, and cream cheese and beat until light and fluffy. Add vanilla and beat 20 seconds.
Add powdered sugar and beat until incorporated. Slow beat in marshmallow creme.
Spread frosting over cooled brownies in the pan, sprinkle with desired sprinkles/decorations and serve.
Keep refrigerated for up to 3-4 days.
- Recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens
- Handmixer can be used instead of a stand mixer
Calories: 591kcal | Carbohydrates: 78g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Cholesterol: 110mg | Sodium: 288mg | Potassium: 112mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 53g | Vitamin A: 1020IU | Calcium: 47mg | Iron: 1.5mg