Spicy Bourbon Glazed Carrots
These glazed carrots are made with simple ingredients, and are easy to make non-spicy for the kids. Perfect for the holidays or a casual dinner!
Servings: 8 servings
- 3 lbs whole carrots, peeled and sliced into circles
- 8 Tbsp unsalted butter, divided
- 1/2 cup quality Bourbon or whiskey
- 2/3 - 3/4 cup light brown sugar depending on how sweet you like carrots
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper (feel free to adjust to your tastes)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper (adjust to your tastes or omit completely)
- minced fresh parsley and/or minced chives for garnish (optional)
Add 1 tablespoon of the butter to a large skillet and heat on HIGH heat. Add half of the carrots and cook about a minute. Remove from skillet and add remaining half of the carrots and cook about a minute. Remove from skillet and set aside.
Add bourbon (carefully - step back a little when you add it), and let cook 30 seconds to let alcohol evaporate. Turn heat down to MED, add remaining 7 Tbsp of butter.
Add brown sugar and stir to melt it into the butter. Transfer carrots back to skillet, stir to coat carrots in the butter mixture. When mixture is bubbling, cover with lid and cook 5-6 minutes.
Take off the lid, add salt, pepper, and cayenne pepper (if using), and stir to combine. Keep cooking, uncovered, about 5-7 more minutes or until glaze is thick and syrupy.
Sprinkle with garnishes, if using, and serve hot.
Calories: 206kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 11g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Cholesterol: 30mg | Sodium: 264mg | Potassium: 544mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 8g | Vitamin A: 28795IU | Vitamin C: 10.1mg | Calcium: 60mg | Iron: 0.5mg