Hearty Crockpot Taco Soup
Packed with flavor, this Crockpot Taco Soup tastes just like your favorite taco, in comforting soup form!
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 3 tsp ground cumin
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano (Mexican oregano is wonderful if you have it)
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp red pepper flakes
- pinch cayenne pepper
- drizzle of olive oil
- 1 lb. ground beef
- 1 lb. ground turkey
- 1 large yellow onion , diced
- 1 - 2 (15 oz each) cans pinto beans , drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can dark red kidney beans , drained and rinsed
- 15 oz can whole kernel corn , drained
- 15 oz can Mexican-style stewed tomatoes
- 15 oz can petite diced tomatoes
- 1 - 2 (4 oz each) cans diced green chiles , drained
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives , drained
- 1 Tbsp better than bouillon beef base (optional but encouraged)
- 3 - 4 cups beef broth
- crispy tortilla strips or chips
- minced cilantro
- sour cream
- diced avocado
- sliced jalapenos
- sliced green onions
- shredded cheese
In a large skillet, add olive oil and onion, and cook 4-5 minutes over MED heat, until soft and slightly charred on the edges. Remove to slow cooker.
In the same skillet, add beef and turkey, and cook 5 minutes over MED heat, breaking meat up with a wooden spoon as it cooks. Drain and transfer to slow cooker.
Stir in seasoning mixture and all remaining soup ingredients (pinto beans, kidney beans, corn, stewed tomatoes, diced tomatoes, green chiles and olives, and beef base). Pour in beef broth and stir well to combine.
Cover and cook on LOW for 4-6 hours, or HIGH for 2-3 hours.
Garnish and serve!
- Brown onion and meats in a large dutch oven or stockpot, then add seasoning mixture and all remaining soup ingredients to the pot. Bring to a boil, then reduce heat to LOW and simmer about 15-20 minutes.
- Garnish and serve.
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS:
- Turn pressure cooker on the Saute setting. Brown onion and meats. Drain if need be. Add seasoning and stir to combine. Add remaining soup ingredients, starting with the broth first.
- Place the lid on the pot, locking it into place. Turn the steam release to the Sealing position.
- Cancel the Saute setting and select Pressure Cook (or Manual), and increase the time to 9 minutes.
- Once cooking time is completed, let the pot sit for 10-15 minutes. Do a controlled quick release by carefully turning the valve towards Venting in little bursts. Make sure you're using a wooden spoon or heat resistant gloves.
- If no soup is spitting out at you, open the valve all the way to Venting. Once the pin drops, open the lid carefully (steam may come out at you).
- Garnish and serve.
Calories: 250kcal | Carbohydrates: 6g | Protein: 24g | Fat: 14g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Cholesterol: 71mg | Sodium: 928mg | Potassium: 503mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 730IU | Vitamin C: 5.4mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 3.2mg