Homestyle Crockpot (No-Boil) Mashed Potatoes
The best, creamy mashed potatoes, made in the slow cooker for the ultimate hassle-free side dish!
Servings: 10 servings
- 5 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 32 oz chicken broth (reduced sodium is best)
- 1 cup unsalted butter (2 sticks), divided
- 8 oz cream cheese, softened and cubed
- 1/4 cup heavy cream, room temperature
- 1/2 tsp onion powder (optional)
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder (optional)
- salt and pepper, to taste
Grease sides of slow cooker insert lightly with butter, then add chopped potatoes. Top with onion powder and garlic powder, then pour in chicken broth.
Cube 1 of the sticks of butter and place cubes around the tops of the potatoes. Cover and cook on HIGH for 3 1/2 - 4 hours.
Drain potatoes then place back in the crockpot. Add remaining stick of butter (cubed), cream cheese, heavy cream and salt and pepper. Start with 1/2 tsp of kosher salt and 1/4 tsp pepper and adjust from there.
Use a potato masher to mash potatoes until mashed to your desired consistency, using a bit more heavy cream if needed.
Serve right away, or cover and set to WARM setting for a few hours.
- All slow cookers cook a little differently, so to tell if your potatoes are done cooking, open the lid and pierce a potato chunk with a fork. You're looking for the fork to slide into the potato easily.
- Yukon gold potatoes can be used instead of russets.
- Waxier potatoes like red or white potatoes have the potential to become a bit gluey when mashed, so use at your discretion.
Calories: 445kcal | Carbohydrates: 42g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 28g | Saturated Fat: 17g | Cholesterol: 81mg | Sodium: 421mg | Potassium: 1059mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 960IU | Vitamin C: 19.3mg | Calcium: 66mg | Iron: 2.2mg