Italian Wedding Soup
Italian Wedding soup is a hearty, classic soup made quickly on the stovetop!
Servings: 6 servings
- 8 oz ground beef
- 8 oz ground pork
- 1/2 cup plain or Italian breadcrumbs
- 1/3 cup whole milk
- 3 Tbsp minced fresh parsley
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup shredded Parmesan cheese
- 1 large egg
- 3 Tbsp olive oil (divided)
- 1 medium yellow onion, minced
- 2 large carrots, peeled and diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried dill
- 1/2 cup dry white wine (chardonnay is my favorite)
- 9 - 10 cups reduced sodium chicken broth or bone broth
- 1 cup dried, uncooked acini di pepe pasta
- 5 oz chopped baby spinach
- shredded Parmesan cheese (for serving)
Heat 2 Tablespoons olive oil in large dutch oven over medium high heat. Add about half the meatballs and cook about 3 minutes per side, turning to brown all over. Transfer to plate. Repeat with remaining meatballs.
Add remaining 1 Tablespoon olive oil to the same dutch oven and reduce heat to medium low. Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook 5 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds, or until fragrant. Season with salt, pepper, and dill.
Add wine and deglaze the pan, scraping the bottom of the pot with a wooden spoon to loosen any browned bits. Add the chicken broth and bring to a boil.
Add pasta and meatballs to the pot and cook 8-10 minutes, until pasta is tender and meatballs are cooked through. During the last minute of cooking, add spinach and let it wilt.
Serve hot, sprinkled with shredded Parmesan cheese.
SLOW COOKER INSTRUCTIONS
- Assemble meatballs, then brown as directed in step 2. Add to slow cooker insert.
- Pour in wine, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
- Pour wine mixture into slow cooker insert, then add all remaining ingredients (except spinach, pasta and Parmesan cheese).
- Cover and cook on LOW 6-8 hours.
- Add spinach and pasta, cover, increase heat to HIGH and continue cooking another 10 minutes, or until spinach has wilted and pasta is tender.
- Serve sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
INSTANT POT INSTRUCTIONS
- Assemble meatballs, then press the saute button.
- Brown meatballs as directed in step 2.
- Add the onion, carrots and celery and cook 3-4 minutes, until softened. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Deglaze with white wine and stir to remove any brown bits. Press Cancel button.
- Stir in seasonings, add in broth, pasta and meatballs.
- Secure the lid and pressure cook on high pressure for 6 minutes.
- Do a quick release, releasing the pressure in short bursts to avoid food particles from spewing out with the steam.
Remove the lid and stir in spinach.
In 'Saute' mode, cook for another 2 minutes, or until heated through and spinach has wilted.
- Serve hot, sprinkled with Parmesan cheese.
Calories: 495kcal | Carbohydrates: 35g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 27g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 96mg | Sodium: 963mg | Potassium: 573mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 6600IU | Vitamin C: 13.4mg | Calcium: 198mg | Iron: 3.7mg