Chocolate Covered Popcorn
Lightly salted popcorn, liberally drizzled with both white and dark chocolate.
Servings: 10 - 12 servings
- 2 bags microwave popcorn popped
- 8 oz white chocolate wafers or chips
- 8 oz dark chocolate wafers or chips
- 3 tsp vegetable oil (optional)
Line 2 rimmed baking sheets with wax paper. Spread popped popcorn evenly on both sheets. Set aside.
In a microwave-safe bowl, add white chocolate wafers half the vegetable oil (if using), and microwave on MED power (50%) for 20-30 second intervals for the first minute, stirring after each cooking interval.
If needed, microwave in 15 second intervals, stirring after each microwave interval, until wafers are JUST melted.
Repeat steps 2 and 3 with dark chocolate wafers.
Use a fork to liberally drizzle both chocolates onto popcorn. Let dry and enjoy!
** If you'd like an even more intense chocolate flavor, once the chocolates are dried on the popcorn, flip the popcorn over and drizzle the other side. I place a clean sheet pan over the popcorn, and invert the popcorn onto the clean pan.
CHOCOLATE MELTING TIPS:
- Don’t cook on full power – if you choose to microwave your chocolate (which is what I normally do), set your microwave to half power (or medium). This lessens the chance of the chocolate heating too quickly and “seizing”.
- Heat slowly – melt the chocolate in 20-30 second intervals for the first minute, then in 15 second intervals after that, stirring after each cooking interval. It takes longer, but trust me, it’s worth it.
- Add a bit of oil – one of my favorite tricks is to add a little bit (about a teaspoon or so) of vegetable oil to the chocolate before melting. I don’t think I’ve ever had seized or scorched chocolate when following the microwave tips and this one!
Calories: 256kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Cholesterol: 5mg | Sodium: 46mg | Potassium: 208mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 21g | Vitamin A: 7IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 114mg | Iron: 1mg