Creamy Beer Cheese Soup
Rich and creamy, this Beer Cheese Soup is made easily on the stovetop and is perfect alongside soft pretzels or crusty bread!
Servings: 6 servings
- 5 slices bacon diced
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 large yellow onion diced or chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 12 oz beer we prefer a lager
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken stock or chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups half and half or heavy cream
- 1 tsp dried mustard can be substituted with an equal amount of dijon mustard
- 1 - 2 tsp hot sauce
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp dried thyme
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 cups shredded medium cheddar cheese shredded from an 8 oz block
- 1/2 cup shredded Pepper jack cheese shredded from an 8 oz block, reserving the rest of the block for another time
Toppings (all optional)
- additional shredded cheese
- remaining half of the cooked bacon
- sliced green onions
- additional black pepper
Cook onions and garlic
Reserve a couple Tbsp of the bacon grease in the pot, then add butter.
Add onions and cook, stirring occasionally, for 7-15 minutes, until golden and soft. The exact amount of time this will take will depend on your stovetop and your cooking vessel.
Add garlic and cook 30 seconds.
Add liquids and thicken
Add flour and stir well to combine. Cook 1-2 minutes, so the raw flour taste will be gone.
Pour in beer, whisking as you pour, and cook, stirring often, until thickened.
Add chicken broth and half and half, stirring well to combine. Add dried mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, thyme, and pepper.
Increase heat to MED and bring soup to a vigorous simmer. Then reduce heat to simmer soup and cook, stirring often, until thickened enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Add cheese and bacon
Remove from the heat and add cheeses, a handful at at time, stirring in between each addition. Soup should be a creamy chowder consistency.
Stir in half the cooked bacon.
- Recipe makes approximately 6 servings, however these serving sizes aren't explicitly measured, just an estimate.
- I've not tested this recipe in a slow cooker, but it can be kept warm in one after making on the stovetop.
- I've not tested this recipe in an Instant Pot, but I believe it can be done with some minor changes. Omit the flour and substitute with cornstarch. Saute bacon, then remove to a paper towel lined plate. Saute onion, then add garlic. Add beer, chicken broth and seasonings, and pressure cook for 5-6 minutes. Perform a quick release and whisk the cornstarch into the half and half (or heavy cream), and add to the pot and cook on saute, stirring often, until thickened. Stir in cheeses, half the bacon, and serve recipe as directed.
Calories: 429kcal | Carbohydrates: 13g | Protein: 19g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 18g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 10g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 87mg | Sodium: 710mg | Potassium: 300mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 737IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 424mg | Iron: 1mg