Blackened Shrimp Recipe
Juicy, tender shrimp is bathed in butter and a homemade blackening seasoning, then seared until beautifully cooked with a little char.
Servings: 6 servings
- 2 lbs large raw shrimp (26-30 per pound) peeled and deveined, tails removed
- 2 - 3 Tbsp blackening seasoning see recipe below in Chef's notes (or use store-bought)
- 3 Tbsp melted butter slightly cooled
- 2 Tbsp vegetable or avocado oil divided
- lemon wedges for garnish
- minced fresh parsley or cilantro for garnish
Make seasoning if using homemade, or get out the store-bought seasoning mix.
Sprinkle shrimp with blackening seasoning and toss to combine, so that each shrimp is coated very well.
Heat a large cast iron skillet (or other large heavy bottomed skillet) over MED HIGH heat for several minutes, or until you see small wisps of smoke. Add 1 Tbsp of oil and swirl to coat the pan.
Add half of the shrimp, in a single layer. Cook about 90 seconds, then flip each shrimp over, cooking for another minute on the second side.
Remove shrimp to a plate. Add remaining vegetable oil and shrimp, then cook about 90 seconds, then flip each shrimp over, cooking for another minute on the second side.
- We love to serve these shrimp with some Cilantro Lime Rice (or plain white or basmati rice), and with some Remoulade Sauce for dipping/drizzling.
Homemade Blackening Seasoning
- 2 Tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp regular paprika
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper (amount depends on your spice tolerance)
- 1/2 - 1 tsp cayenne pepper (amount depends on your spice tolerance)
- 1/2 tsp dried celery seed
- 1/4 tsp allspice
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- Whisk all ingredients together in a mixing bowl, then add to an airtight container and store in a cool, dry place.
- If sealed well after each use, seasoning should stay fresh for up to 6 months.
Calories: 158kcal | Carbohydrates: 1g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 206mg | Sodium: 1789mg | Potassium: 173mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 447IU | Calcium: 83mg | Iron: 1mg