One Pan Cheesy Jalapeño Chicken
This cheesy jalapeño chicken is made in one pan, is bursting with flavor, smothered in melty cheese, and made in just 20 minutes! Try it tonight!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time15 mins
Total Time25 mins
- 1 lime sliced
- 3 1/2 Tbsp vegetable oil divided
- 3 boneless skinless chicken breasts cut in half and pounded to be 1/2 inch thick
- 1 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried minced onion
- 1/4 tsp ancho chile powder
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 - 2 cups frozen corn kernels, thawed (fresh corn works as well)
- 2 jalapeños seeds removed and sliced lengthwise into strips
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3 Tbsp lime juice (juice of 2-3 limes)
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 - 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican blend cheese (or any cheese you prefer)
- minced fresh cilantro, for garnish
- extra lime wedges, for garnish
To a mixing bowl, add chicken, chili powder, oregano, kosher salt, ground cumin, black pepper, dried minced onion, and ancho chile powder. Toss and massage spice mixture into all sides of chicken.
Add flour to a shallow bowl or plate and lightly dredge chicken in flour. Let chicken sit while you heat up your pan.
Heat large oven-safe skillet over MED-HIGH heat. Add lime slices to pan and char for 1-2 minutes per side, until charred and brown, as desired. Remove to a plate.
Add 2 ½ Tbsp of the vegetable oil to the hot pan and let heat through until shimmering.
Add chicken pieces to the hot pan, being careful not to overcrowd the pan (you may need to do 2 batches, depending on the size of your pan). Cook about 3 minutes per side, until golden brown, then remove to plate.
Move oven rack to the upper third part of the oven and preheat broiler to HIGH.
Add remaining 1 Tbsp vegetable oil and then add corn kernels, jalapeno slices and garlic. Cook, stirring often, about 2-3 minutes, until corn begins to lightly brown.
Add chicken back to the pan, and pour in lime juice and water. Cook several minutes (this time can vary depending on your stove – mine took 2 minutes), until liquid is mostly absorbed.
Sprinkle with shredded cheese and broil for about 2-3 minutes, until cheese is melted.
Garnish with minced fresh cilantro and serve with lime wedges or charred lime slices.