One Pot Pepperoni Pizza Pasta
Classic pepperoni pizza flavors are mixed with cheesy pasta in this one pot dish that is perfect for a busy weeknight! Ready in just 30 minutes!
Prep Time7 mins
Cook Time23 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 8 servings
- 1 lb mild Italian sausage, casings removed (or buy pre-ground sausage)
- 1/2 cup sliced pepperoni, divided
- 1/2 green bell pepper, diced
- 1/2 yellow onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 24 oz jar of marinara sauce
- 1/2 tsp dried oregano
- 1/4 tsp dried basil
- 3 cups water
- 1 lb dry, uncooked short cut pasta (like penne, rigatoni, etc)
- 2 cups mozzarella cheese, divided
- salt and pepper, to taste
- fresh minced parsley or basil, for garnish
Cut 1/2 the pepperoni slices into 4 pieces, set aside.
Heat a dutch oven or deep pot over MED HIGH heat. Add drizzle of olive oil and brown Italian sausage, crumbling it with a wooden spoon or potato masher as it cooks, about 4-5 minutes. Drain excess grease and return to pan.
Add cut pepperoni pieces, diced onion, and diced green pepper, and cook until softened, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook another 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
Stir in marinara sauce, oregano and basil. Add water, stir and bring to a boil over HIGH heat. When boiling, add pasta, stir, reduce to a simmer, cover with lid and simmer about 12-15 minutes, until pasta is tender and most of the liquid is gone.
Stir in 1 cup of mozzarella cheese, remove from heat. Taste and add salt and pepper as needed. Sprinkle top with remaining mozzarella, and lay remaining slices of pepperoni on top.
Broil on HIGH for 1-3 minutes, until cheese is bubbly, melted and slightly golden. Serve garnished with minced parsley or basil.
If your cooking pot isn't oven/broiler safe, alternatively, you can add the cheese and pepperoni slices on top, then cover with lid and heat on low a few minutes until cheese is melted. The pepperoni slices won't be as crispy this way, so here's my solution to that:
- before browning the sausage, add the uncut pepperoni slices to the bottom of the cooking pot with a drizzle of oil over MED-HIGH heat. Cook until crispy, then remove to a paper towel lined plate for the end of the dish. Continue cooking recipe as directed.