Crockpot Shredded Beef Barbecue
Perfect for a summer cookout or potluck, this shredded beef barbecue recipe is made easily in the crockpot!
Servings: 8 servings
CROCKPOT SHREDDED BEEF
- 2 - 3 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 2 1/2 tsp paprika
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 1 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 4 lb beef chuck roast
- 2 Tbsp yellow mustard
- 2/3 cup beef broth
- 1 tsp liquid smoke (optional)
- 3 - 4 Tbsp unsalted butter (sliced)
- 1 large yellow onion, finely minced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 1 tsp olive oil
- salt and pepper, to taste
- 20 - 24 oz bottle of ketchup
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 - 3 Tbsp molasses
- 1/2 tsp Worcestershire sauce
Combine brown sugar, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, salt and pepper in a small bowl. Set aside. Add chuck roast to slow cooker, drizzle with mustard and rub into the meat.
Sprinkle with half of the rub. Rub into the meat, flip the roast over and rub the remaining rub into the meat. Pour in beef broth and liquid smoke (if using), being careful to pour it around the roast, not over it. You don't want to wash away that rub and mustard! Top with butter slices. Cover and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours, or until roast is fork tender.
Remove roast from slow cooker to a large cutting board and shred, discarding large fat pieces. Drain cooking juices from the slow cooker and return shredded beef to the slow cooker.
Add butter and olive oil to a saucepan and heat over MED heat. Add onion and garlic and saute until soft and translucent, about 5-8 minutes.
Add ketchup, brown sugar, cider vinegar, molasses and Worcestershire sauce to saucepan and stir until combined. Pour barbecue sauce into slow cooker with beef and stir well. Cover and cook on HIGH for 30 minutes or so, to allow the sauce to really mesh together and slightly caramelize on the beef.
Serve hot and enjoy!
- Both the barbecue sauce and shredded beef can be made ahead of time and reheated together in the crockpot. Combine shredded beef and cooked sauce and cook, covered, on LOW until hot.
- If you'd prefer, store-bought barbecue sauce can be used.
- This beef is incredibly flavorful on it's own, so if you'd prefer a sauce-less shredded beef, this is a great recipe.
- Feel free to play around with the amounts of barbecue sauce ingredients, depending on your tastes and the size of the roast you're using.
Calories: 473kcal | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 44g | Fat: 31g | Saturated Fat: 14g | Cholesterol: 167mg | Sodium: 637mg | Potassium: 836mg | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 585IU | Vitamin C: 1.8mg | Calcium: 51mg | Iron: 5.1mg