Easy Chicken Marsala (30 Minute Meal)
This easy chicken Marsala dish takes just 30 minutes to make!
Prep Time10 mins
Cook Time20 mins
Total Time30 mins
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 chicken breasts sliced horizontally or pounded until 1/2" thick
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 5 Tbsp olive oil , divided
- 3 tbsp unsalted butter , divided
- 8 oz white button mushrooms sliced
- 8 oz cremini mushrooms sliced
- 2 Tbsp shallots (or your favorite onion) minced
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2/3 cup dry Marsala wine
- 2/3 cup beef stock
- sprig of fresh thyme (optional)
- Fresh parsley minced, for garnish
To a large pan or skillet, add 2 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp butter and heat over MED-HIGH heat.
Sprinkle pounded chicken cutlets with salt and pepper on both sides, then lightly dredge in the 1/3 cup flour. Shake off excess flour and add chicken to hot pan. Work in batches if needed, as over-crowding the pan will prevent the chicken from crisping up.
Cook chicken about 3-4 minutes per side, until golden.
Transfer chicken to a plate and set aside.
Add 2 Tbsp olive oil and 1 Tbsp butter to the pan and add mushrooms.
Saute about 5-8 minutes, seasoning with salt and pepper about half-way through cooking.
Remove mushrooms to plate with the chicken and set aside.
Add remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil, then add shallots and garlic. Saute about 1 minute, until soft and fragrant.
Sprinkle in the 1 Tbsp flour and stir to coat. Cook for a minute to get the flour taste out.
Pour in Marsala wine and beef stock, scraping the bottom of the pan with a wooden spoon.
Cook, stirring often, for 2 minutes, or until sauce is slightly thickened.
Slide chicken and mushrooms back into the pan, making sure to get all the juices from the plate into the pan - that's pure flavor there!
Add 1 Tbsp butter to the center of the pan, toss a sprig of thyme in there if desired, then cover the pan and let cook about 2 minutes.
Stir and spoon sauce over chicken.
Garnish with parsley if desired and serve.
1. Recipe adapted slightly from Saveur
2. Can be served over pasta, mashed potatoes, rice, quinoa, veggies, whatever you'd like.
3. If you want asparagus in your recipe, like in my photos, here are those instructions:
- Blanch asparagus in boiling water for about 2 minutes, then shock them in a bowl of ice water.
- Dry asparagus on paper towels, then add them to the pan when you cover it and cook it the last two minutes.
Calories: 562kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 41g | Fat: 30g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Cholesterol: 131mg | Sodium: 288mg | Potassium: 1201mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 315IU | Vitamin C: 4.1mg | Calcium: 30mg | Iron: 2mg