Slow Cooker Cheesy Ham Chowder
Warm up in the most comforting way... a big bowl of this cheesy ham chowder, made easy in the slow cooker! Perfect for a busy weeknight!
Servings: 10 servings
- 1 1/2 lbs. russet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2" cubes (about 3 medium sized potatoes)
- 20 oz canned corn (drained), or frozen corn (thawed)
- 4 cups cubed ham steaks, diced into 1/2" cubes
- 1 large yellow onion, diced
- 4 ribs celery, diced
- 4-5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 4 cups chicken stock (or broth)
- 2 cups Promised Land Dairy Whole Milk
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp fresh minced parsley
- extra parsley, pepper and cheese, for garnish
To a 6 qt slow cooker, add the first 8 ingredients (potatoes through and including chicken stock). Stir, cover, and cook on LOW for 8-10 hours, until potatoes are tender.
In a small mixing bowl, whisk milk and cornstarch until smooth. Stir into soup in slow cooker, cover and cook on HIGH 20-25 minutes until thickened, stirring occasionally. Turn off heat, stir in cheese, sour cream and parsley until cheese is melted.
Serve sprinkled with extra cheese, black pepper and parsley if desired.
Calories: 340kcal | Carbohydrates: 30g | Protein: 17g | Fat: 16g | Saturated Fat: 9g | Cholesterol: 53mg | Sodium: 715mg | Potassium: 711mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 6g | Vitamin A: 520IU | Vitamin C: 14.6mg | Calcium: 268mg | Iron: 1.4mg