Easy Breakfast Burritos
These breakfast burritos are packed with eggs, bacon, sausage, cheese and tater tots and will give you the protein punch you need to get your day started off right!
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 cups frozen tater tots
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 lb. bulk sausage we like the country pork or sage varieties
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 large flour tortillas burrito-sized
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup minced fresh chives or green onions
Whisk together eggs and cream.
Return skillet to stovetop, lowering heat to MED. Add butter and egg mixture, stirring every so often, until eggs begin to set. Continue cooking and stirring occasionally until no wetness remains. Set eggs aside.
CRUMBLE BACON AND PREHEAT OVEN (if baking right away)
Add eggs to large mixing bowl. Add in half of the cooked tater tots, crumbled bacon, cooked sausage, most of the cheese, and fresh chives.
Warm tortillas in microwave until pliable. Line a few tater tots down the center of one tortilla, using a wooden spoon to smoosh them down a little. Top with some of the egg mixture, then a sprinkle of some of the remaining cheese.
Roll tortilla up from the bottom, folding in the sides, burrito-style. Place seam-side down on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- WARM THE TORTILLAS - if you've ever tried to fold a cold or even room temperature tortilla, you know that it doesn't work out too well. They tend to crack and fall apart. Warming the tortillas (flour is truly the variety you want here) solves that problem!
- USE COOLED INGREDIENTS - if you're going to be freezing these burritos, use ingredients that are closer to room temperature, so you can freeze them right away.
Assemble the burritos, then wrap each one individually in plastic wrap, foil, parchment paper, or wax paper.
Add packages to an airtight freezer container (we use a freezer resealable plastic bag), label it with the contents and the date, and freeze for up to 3 months.
REHEATING A FROZEN BREAKFAST BURRITO
You're going to have the best results if you thaw the burrito overnight in the refrigerator.
However, you can still reheat these from frozen.
There are three options for reheating your breakfast burrito:
- Microwave - for a thawed burrito, microwave on high for about 1 minute. For a frozen burrito, wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave on high for about 2 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Oven - for thawed burritos, bake in a preheated 400°F oven for about 15 minutes. To bake from frozen, bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Skillet - reheating in a skillet will give you the most amazing crisp exterior! Heat a drizzle of oil in a skillet over about MED heat. Add thawed burrito (frozen ones aren't advisable), seam side down, and cook until golden brown on all sides and insides are heated through, about 90 seconds per side.
Calories: 597kcal | Carbohydrates: 25g | Protein: 23g | Fat: 45g | Saturated Fat: 19g | Cholesterol: 108mg | Sodium: 1206mg | Potassium: 359mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 634IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 307mg | Iron: 2mg