These breakfast burritos are packed with eggs, bacon, sausage, cheese and tater tots and will give you the protein punch you need to get your day started off right! Easy to prep ahead and freeze, giving you amazing on-the-go burritos all week long!
These Easy Breakfast Burritos are such a great weekday breakfast idea, and SO delicious! We love easy breakfasts that the whole family will enjoy, like my Old Fashioned Donuts, and Maple Breakfast Sausage. This is one of my Breakfast recipes you’ll definitely want in your collection!
BREAKFAST BURRITO RECIPE
Let’s talk breakfast. Supposedly it’s the most important meal of the day. Do you agree?
While I’m all for starting out the day on the right foot, with a hearty meal, most mornings are
hectic pure chaos. If you have kids, let’s see if you can relate.
There’s multiple kids to get woken up, dressed, fed, papers organized, backpacks packed and ready to go, shoes on, jackets on, and now there’s the added fun of making sure they have a mask (and a backup just in case).
And this all stemming from a woman who can barely function without some form of morning caffeine. Not the best combination!
If you don’t have kids, I bet your mornings are still pretty hectic, and you could use a quick, easy to heat up breakfast.
The problem is that most easy and quick breakfasts aren’t all that satisfying, or don’t taste all that great. You shouldn’t have to sacrifice flavor for convenience!
These breakfast burritos are literally packed full of all your breakfast favorites, and can easily be made ahead and frozen so you can pop one in the microwave and be on your way with a fabulous breakfast!
HOW TO MAKE BREAKFAST BURRITOS
- Cook bacon. Cook bacon and crumble. Set aside.
- Cook sausage. Brown sausage in skillet, then drain. Set aside.
- Cook tater tots. Bake tater tots according to package directions. Set aside.
- Cook eggs. Whisk eggs and heavy cream. Then add to skillet and scramble. Season with a sprinkle of salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Mix filling. Add eggs, bacon, sausage, chives, half the tater tots and most of the cheese. Stir.
- Assemble burritos. Line a few tater tots in the center of a tortilla, and lightly smash them. Top with filling mixture, then sprinkle with cheese. Roll up, like a burrito, then place seam-side down on a baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
- Freeze, bake, or serve as is. If freezing, wrap burritos in foil and freeze. If baking, bake at 400°F for 15 minutes. If serving as is, slice burrito in half and enjoy.
ADDITIONAL COOKING TIPS
- WARM THE TORTILLAS – if you’ve ever tried to fold a cold or even room temperature tortilla, you know that it doesn’t work out too well. They tend to crack and fall apart. Warming the tortillas (flour is truly the variety you want here) solves that problem! There are two main ways to warm tortillas:
- Stove – if you have a gas oven, turn a burner on over high or medium high heat and use tongs (don’t use coated ones) and add a tortilla on the burner. Let cook about 3-5 seconds, then flip tortilla over and repeat. Repeat until tortilla is warm and a little charred around the edges.
- Microwave – wrap the stack of tortillas in a damp paper towel, then microwave for about 20 seconds.
- USE COOLED INGREDIENTS – if you’re going to be freezing these burritos, use ingredients that are closer to room temperature, so you can freeze them right away.
VARIATIONS OF THIS RECIPE
- CHORIZO – for a fun Mexican twist, use ground chorizo instead of bulk sausage.
- HOMEMADE SAUSAGE – my homemade breakfast sausage is fabulous in these burritos!
- HAM – if you have some leftover ham, feel free to swap it in for the sausage.
- ADDITIONAL OR DIFFERENT CHEESES – like things extra cheesy? Add as much cheese as you’d like. Feel free to substitute the cheddar and Monterey Jack for your favorite types of cheese.
- VEGETABLES – these breakfast burritos are fabulous with some sautéed onion in them. You could also saute some bell pepper, jalapeno, mushrooms, zucchini, etc and toss it in.
- HASH BROWNS – in place of the tater tots, feel free to use cooked shredded hash browns, or cooked cubed breakfast potatoes.
- SPICY – to add some zesty heat, add some hot sauce to the eggs and/or filling mixture.
- AVOCADO – if you’re going to be serving these burritos as-is, without baking them, try adding some avocado slices!
MAKING BREAKFAST BURRITOS AHEAD OF TIME
One of the best things about this recipe, is it’s EASILY made completely ahead. Just assemble, but don’t bake.
I love that you can make an entire batch of these burritos, freeze them, and enjoy them all week long!
Assemble the burritos, then wrap each one individually in plastic wrap, foil, parchment paper, or wax paper. Add packages to an airtight freezer container (we use a freezer resealable plastic bag), label it with the contents and the date, and freeze for up to 3 months.
REHEATING A FROZEN BREAKFAST BURRITO
You’re going to have the best results if you thaw the burrito overnight in the refrigerator. I just make it a habit that when I’m headed to bed, to stop and transfer a burrito over to the fridge. Easy peasy!
However, you can still reheat these from frozen.
There are three options for reheating your breakfast burrito:
- Microwave – for a thawed burrito, microwave on high for about 1 minute. For a frozen burrito, wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave on high for about 2 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Oven – for thawed burritos, bake in a preheated 400°F oven for about 15 minutes. To bake from frozen, bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Skillet – reheating in a skillet will give you the most amazing crisp exterior! Heat a drizzle of oil in a skillet over about MED heat. Add thawed burrito (frozen ones aren’t advisable), seam side down, and cook until golden brown on all sides and insides are heated through, about 90 seconds per side.
Extra or leftover burritos should be refrigerated in an airtight container and consumed within 5 days.
SPECIAL EQUIPMENT FOR THIS RECIPE
The following links are affiliate links.
The Chunky Chef, LLC is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to amazon.com. For more information regarding this program and what it means for you, please see my Privacy page.
- BIG baking sheet – makes it easier to fit multiple burritos on one baking sheet.
BE SURE TO SCROLL DOWN TO CHECK OUT OTHER READERS’ COMMENTS FOR TIPS AND REVIEWS.
AND DON’T FORGET, IF YOU’VE MADE THIS RECIPE, LEAVE A COMMENT AND PLEASE GIVE IT A STAR RATING LETTING ME KNOW HOW YOU ENJOYED IT!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 2 cups frozen tater tots
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 lb. bulk sausage we like the country pork or sage varieties
- 1 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 8 large eggs
- 1/3 cup heavy cream
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 large flour tortillas burrito-sized
- 1 1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/3 cup minced fresh chives or green onions
COOK TATER TOTS
- Cook tater tots according to package directions, then set aside to cool.
- In a large skillet, cook bacon over MED LOW heat until crispy. Transfer cooked bacon to a paper towel lined plate and drain off most of the bacon fat, leaving a little bit still in the skillet.
- Increase heat to MED HIGH and add bulk sausage. Cook sausage about 5-6 minutes, breaking up the meat into crumbles as it cooks. Drain.
- Whisk together eggs and cream.
- Return skillet to stovetop, lowering heat to MED. Add butter and egg mixture, stirring every so often, until eggs begin to set. Continue cooking and stirring occasionally until no wetness remains. Set eggs aside.
CRUMBLE BACON AND PREHEAT OVEN (if baking right away)
- Crumble cooked bacon.
- Preheat oven to 400°F and line a rimmed baking sheet with parchment paper. Set aside.
- Add eggs to large mixing bowl. Add in half of the cooked tater tots, crumbled bacon, cooked sausage, most of the cheese, and fresh chives.
- Warm tortillas in microwave until pliable. Line a few tater tots down the center of one tortilla, using a wooden spoon to smoosh them down a little. Top with some of the egg mixture, then a sprinkle of some of the remaining cheese.
- Roll tortilla up from the bottom, folding in the sides, burrito-style. Place seam-side down on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
** IF FREEZING **
- Wrap each burrito with foil and add to freezer-safe container. Freeze for up to 3 months.
** IF BAKING **
- Bake in preheated 400°F oven for 15 minutes, until golden brown and filling is hot.
- Serve burritos hot.
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!
- WARM THE TORTILLAS - if you've ever tried to fold a cold or even room temperature tortilla, you know that it doesn't work out too well. They tend to crack and fall apart. Warming the tortillas (flour is truly the variety you want here) solves that problem!
- USE COOLED INGREDIENTS - if you're going to be freezing these burritos, use ingredients that are closer to room temperature, so you can freeze them right away.
FREEZINGAssemble the burritos, then wrap each one individually in plastic wrap, foil, parchment paper, or wax paper. Add packages to an airtight freezer container (we use a freezer resealable plastic bag), label it with the contents and the date, and freeze for up to 3 months.
REHEATING A FROZEN BREAKFAST BURRITOYou're going to have the best results if you thaw the burrito overnight in the refrigerator. However, you can still reheat these from frozen. There are three options for reheating your breakfast burrito:
- Microwave - for a thawed burrito, microwave on high for about 1 minute. For a frozen burrito, wrap in a damp paper towel and microwave on high for about 2 minutes, turning halfway through.
- Oven - for thawed burritos, bake in a preheated 400°F oven for about 15 minutes. To bake from frozen, bake in a preheated 400°F oven for 35-40 minutes.
- Skillet - reheating in a skillet will give you the most amazing crisp exterior! Heat a drizzle of oil in a skillet over about MED heat. Add thawed burrito (frozen ones aren't advisable), seam side down, and cook until golden brown on all sides and insides are heated through, about 90 seconds per side.