A creamy filling made with chicken taco flavors is spread over a soft flour tortilla and rolled up to make the most delicious Mexican pinwheels ever!
These Mexican pinwheels are perfect for ANY party or get together! Made with mouthwatering chicken taco flavors, they’re a favorite with both kids and adults!
It’s party time!! Okay maybe not really party time, but one bite of these Mexican pinwheels and you’ll think there’s a party going on! I actually had these at a get together with my in-laws, and my mother-in-law had made these. Like me, she loves to cook, so naturally we were talking about the food, and she mentioned that she’d found this recipe on Old El Paso‘s site. After looking it over, and making some tweaks of my own, I created pure deliciousness!
I like a LOT of cilantro flavor, so if you’re not a huge fan, feel free to adjust that amount to your liking. As a bonus, these aren’t spicy at all (that we noticed), so even the kiddos can snack on these Mexican pinwheels! You could also experiment with different flavored tortillas as the wraps… like maybe a spinach one? I knew there was NO way I’d get a green tortilla by my kids, so I didn’t even attempt it lol.
Speaking of kids, if you have them, are they out of school for the summer yet? My oldest (the only one in school) has been out for over 2 weeks and we’ve already hit the “I’m soooo bored” stage. Good grief. After about the third time of hearing her say that, I escorted her out to the kitchen to help me roll the tortillas for these pinwheels… boredom solved!
Thankfully, both kids are enrolled in a fun summer camp through my son’s pre-school… so they’re totally immersed in that and all the various fun activities and field trips to go on, instead of lounging around the house staring at the tv or complaining lol.
Okay, back to these pinwheels lol. While these are PERFECT for a party, they’re also fun to have as an afternoon snack or a fun dinner (I like to pair them with a salad… this one is my fav!). There’s something so ridiculously fun about getting to eat with your hands isn’t there?
I think these Mexican pinwheels are pretty amazing as is, but if you’re looking for some other add-ins or toppers, here are some great options:
- finely minced jalapeños (fresh or canned)
- roasted poblanos
- minced sautéed onions
- cooked small corn kernels
- drizzle sour cream over the top (or Mexican crema)
- scoop some guacamole on top before eating (try this one!)
- experiment with a different sour cream to cream cheese ratio (the more sour cream you use, the “wetter” the filling will be)
Like with most pinwheels, once you roll up the tortilla, you’ll want to chill them in the refrigerator (the whole rolls) for a bit, so they firm up. Otherwise, when you go to slice them, they’ll get mashed and sort of fall apart… definitely no bueno! Oh, and a sharp serrated knife makes slicing the 1 inch sections a breeze! I used my bread knife, which was probably overkill… but let’s be honest, it was the only clean serrated knife, because I. hate. doing. dishes. I can’t be alone in that, right you guys? 😉
I really hope you all give these a try… whether it’s for a party, cookout, snack or dinner… I really think you’ll love them as much as we sure do!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 12 oz cream cheese, softened to room temp (my packages are 8oz, so I used a package and a half)
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 2 cups shredded chicken **see recipe notes below
- 1.5 Tbsp taco seasoning (choose your favorite)
- 1 1/2 cups shredded Mexican cheese
- 10 oz can of diced tomatoes with green chiles, very well drained
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic, finely minced
- 5 green onions, sliced thinly
- 3/4 - 1 cup cilantro, chopped finely (adjust to your tastes)
- 8 burrito sized flour tortillas
- fresh minced cilantro, for garnish optional
- Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl, stirring until well combined.
- Lay flour tortilla down on work surface and spread about 1/4 cup (amount will vary from person to person) evenly over the tortilla, leaving a 1/2 - 1 inch border all around.
- Start at the bottom of the tortilla (closest to you), and roll up tightly towards the top, like a cigar. Place roll seam side down on prepared pan.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas and place in refrigerator for 30 minutes to several hours to chill and firm up.
- Use a sharp, serrated knife to slice roll into 1 inch pinwheels and serve.
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!
- Recipe preparation time does not count chilling time, as that will vary from person to person.
- If you have leftover filling, it can be frozen (in a sealed bag or airtight container) for up to 2 months
- SHREDDED CHICKEN RECOMMENDATIONS:
- Tequila Lime Chicken - cook as directed, then shred (this gives the best flavor)
- Leftover cooked chicken from another recipe
- Rotisserie chicken
- Canned chicken (this is the easiest option, but not the best flavor)
The Chunky Chef is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.