This easy game day appetizer combines classic buffalo wing flavors with cool creaminess in an easy dip made in the crockpot. Perfect for any party, serve it up with chips or celery sticks and watch everyone go back for seconds!
This is one of my Dip recipes I know you’ll want to keep on hand!
Let’s talk appetizers. Party food is, simply put, the BEST food out there! Probably one of the most quintessential party foods are chicken wings… with buffalo flavor being the most popular. I love a great chicken wing, but sometimes I don’t want all the mess.
Most of you have probably had a version of this buffalo chicken dip recipe before… I know I have. At parties, and even on the appetizer menu at many restaurants, it’s quite the popular dip!
Now you can make this restaurant quality dip recipe at home! And it couldn’t be more simple.
This recipe has been hanging around on the website since 2018, and has been updated with additional information and photos. The recipe however, remains the same 🙂
How to make buffalo chicken dip in the crockpot?
This is just an overview; the full ingredients and directions are in the recipe card toward the bottom of this post.
- Mix. The great thing about this recipe is that there’s no specific order, just add the ingredients and give it a good stir.
- Transfer to slow cooker. I like to give the insert a light spray with cooking spray, but it’s not required.
- Top with cheese. For the gooiest cheese, shred your own, but in this recipe, pre-shredded cheese will work just fine.
- Slow cook. This doesn’t take super long, just a couple of hours to heat it through.
- Garnish and serve.
You can use either traditional hot sauce (such as Frank’s RedHot), or buffalo wing sauce (such as Frank’s RedHot buffalo wings). We much prefer the buffalo wing sauce, but of course this is your dip, so use what you love most.
Variations of this recipe
- Ranch – ranch dressing is a classic flavor to pair with buffalo chicken, but if you’re not a fan, you can omit it, and just add an equal amount of additional sour cream.
- Chicken – if you’d like a thicker dip, feel free to use up to an additional 1 – 1.5 cups of shredded chicken.
- Spicier – the heat level of this dip is completely up to you, so for a spicier dip, use an extra hot variety.
- Milder – conversely, to reduce the heat, use a mild variety.
- Baked – while I love the convenience of cooking this dip in the slow cooker, if you’d prefer a baked version, check below the full recipe in the “chef tips” section for all the info.
The best option would be to use a shredded rotisserie chicken (or make your own version of rotisserie chicken at home!). My grocery store even sells them pre-shredded for convenience! Other options would be to cook chicken and shred it yourself, use leftover chicken, or even canned if you don’t have any other other options.
Yes, this dip can be frozen, in a freezer-safe container, for up to 3 months. Thaw, then reheat as desired. However, there could be a little separation of the dairy, so make sure to give everything a good stir before reheating.
Making buffalo chicken dip ahead of time
The great thing about this appetizer is that it can be made ahead of time!
Just assemble it, cover, and refrigerate for a day or two.
Then heat it up per the recipe, and enjoy!
Leftover dip should be refrigerated in an airtight container and enjoyed within 3-5 days.
I had this crockpot for a while now, and I really love how it cooks. The locking lid feature is amazing for taking foods to potlucks or other gatherings!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 16 oz cream cheese (full fat is best) softened
- 1/2 cup ranch dressing
- 1/2 cup sour cream (full fat is best)
- 1/3 cup blue cheese crumbles divided
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken (rotisserie chicken is great for this)
- 1/2 cup buffalo wing sauce
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese divided
- 3 green onions sliced (for garnish)
- fresh parsley minced (for garnish)
- additional blue cheese crumbles (for garnish)
- In a mixing bowl, combine cream cheese, ranch dressing, sour cream, 1/4 cup of the blue cheese crumbles, chicken, buffalo wing sauce and 1 cup of cheddar cheese. Stir to combine well.
- Lightly spray a 3 quart slow cooker with non-stick cooking spray. Transfer mixture to slow cooker and top with remaining 1 cup of cheese.
- Cover and cook on LOW for 2-3 hours, until hot and bubbly.
- Sprinkle with remaining blue cheese, green onions and parsley (if using). Serve hot with tortilla chips or celery sticks.
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!
- Recipe makes approximately 6 cups.
- To double this recipe, double all the ingredients and cook in a 6 quart or larger slow cooker on LOW for 3-4 hours.
Baked Buffalo Chicken Dip:
- Mix up the recipe as directed, but instead of transferring to a crockpot, transfer to a lightly greased shallow baking dish, like a deep dish pie pan or 2-3 quart baking dish.
- Bake at 350°F for 20-30 minutes, or until hot and bubbly.
- Garnish as desired and serve hot.
The Chunky Chef is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.