Chicken Taco Dip
Creamy with a kick, this chicken taco dip is made with simple ingredients, is perfect to make-ahead, and is completely no-bake. Be party ready in no time! Chicken, cream cheese, taco seasoning, black beans, corn, and more all combine to make the most delicious dip ever!
Party food recipes like this Chicken Taco Dip are great for game days, holidays, and pretty much any gathering. Party guests love finger foods and dips! We LOVE easy, prep-ahead recipes like my Bacon Ranch Cheese Ball and this taco dip is one of my Appetizer recipes you’ll definitely want in your collection!
CHICKEN TACO DIP
This is a recipe that I came up with on accident. For real!
I was making my Chicken Taco Pinwheels, and got a bit on my finger and ate it. Obviously it tastes amazing in the wraps for the pinwheels, but as I tasted it, I realized with some minor tweaks, it would be fantastic as a dip.
So I went to work, adding a few ingredients, tweaking some amounts to make it a bit creamier, and viola… this fantastic taco dip was born!
HOW TO MAKE CHICKEN TACO DIP
This recipe has very little steps, but is SO packed with flavor!
- Shred chicken, if not done already.
- Mix cream cheese, sour cream, taco seasoning and garlic.
- Stir in chicken, cheese, tomatoes and green chiles, corn, black beans, green onions and cilantro.
- If using leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken that isn’t hot – warm it up in the microwave for a bit. Warm chicken will shred easier than cold chicken.
- Shred in two stages – I use my hands to break the chicken up into smaller pieces, then bust out my hand mixer and use it to shred the chicken into finer pieces.
- Rinse the black beans – that starchy black liquid in a can of black beans isn’t all that appetizing, and you certainly don’t want that in your dip. Toss the beans into a colander and give it a rinse with cold water.
- Drain canned ingredients really well – the liquid in the cans will water down the dip, turning it into a soupy mess. I like to put the beans, tomatoes and green chiles, and corn into a colander and let it sit in my sink while I’m getting everything else ready.
VARIATIONS OF TACO DIP
- Spicy – I think this dip is between a mild and medium heat level, but if you want to turn up the heat, you could add some finely minced jalapenos, or an extra can of diced green chiles (hot or mild). You could also add some cayenne pepper as well.
- Meat changeup – swap the chicken for some shredded turkey, browned crumbled sausage, pork or beef.
- Cheese changeup – not a fan of Mexican-blend cheese and Pepper-jack? Try some different types, like cheddar, colby, etc.
- Baked – if you prefer a baked dip, try combining these ingredients into a baking dish, top with a little more shredded cheese, and bake at 350 F degrees until hot and bubbly.
MAKING CHICKEN TACO DIP AHEAD OF TIME
No bake dips like this one are SO perfect for making ahead of time… since all the flavors really have time to mesh together!
Combine all the ingredients, then transfer to a container and refrigerate for 1-2 days.
Leftover dip (if you have any!), should be refrigerated in an airtight container and consumed within 3-4 days.
SPECIAL EQUIPMENT FOR THIS RECIPE
- Hand Mixer – this model is a true workhorse in my kitchen!
BE SURE TO SCROLL DOWN TO CHECK OUT OTHER READERS’ COMMENTS FOR TIPS AND REVIEWS.
AND DON’T FORGET, IF YOU’VE MADE THIS RECIPE, LEAVE A COMMENT AND PLEASE GIVE IT A STAR RATING LETTING ME KNOW HOW YOU ENJOYED IT!
Chicken Taco Dip
- 12 oz cream cheese softened
- 3/4 - 1 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp taco seasoning approximately one packet
- 1 1/2 tsp garlic very finely minced or grated
- 2 cups shredded chicken
- 1 cup shredded Mexican-blend cheese
- 1/2 cup shredded Pepper-jack cheese
- 10 oz can diced tomatoes with green chiles drained
- 8 oz can whole-kernel corn drained
- 8 oz canned black beans drained
- 5 green onions thinly sliced
- 1/2 - 1 cup minced fresh cilantro
- juice of half a lime
- In a large mixing bowl, add cream cheese, sour cream, taco seasoning and garlic. Use a hand mixer to beat until well combined.
- Stir in remaining ingredients.
- Cover and chill mixture for at least 1 hour for best flavor.
- Serve cold with chips and enjoy!