A simple and easy marinade gives this tequila lime chicken an incredible flavor! Perfect on the grill, with a salsa, or in a taco/burrito bowl!
This chicken recipe is one of my all time favorites… because it’s SO versatile! Not to mention, it uses booze 😉
You may recognize that SALSA, it’s the Strawberry, Jalapeno and Pineapple Salsa I posted on Monday. These two are just made for each other!
The spiciness of the chicken, mixed with the zing from the lime, and topped off with the sweetness of the salsa… you won’t be able to stop making this dish 🙂
The marinade comes together super quickly and uses common spices you probably have in your spice cabinet 🙂 Add the spices to the citrus juices, oil, and tequila and whisk to combine. Pour the marinade over the chicken breasts in a zip top plastic bag and refrigerate for 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
Now just fire up your grill (or be like me and send the chicken out to your grill master husband), and grill until chicken is cooked through and juices run clear (about 8 minutes per side, depending on how thick your breasts are).
You just can’t beat that char from grilling! If the weather is nasty, you could sear this chicken up in a skillet though.
I like to squeeze a little fresh lime juice over the chicken before serving!
And of course, top it with some minced cilantro and a generous helping of the strawberry salsa!
This tequila lime chicken is perfect just as is… but also makes a very delicious base for a chicken taco or chicken burrito bowl 🙂
Recipe adapted from The Kitchen Wife
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 3-5 boneless skinless, chicken breasts
- 1/4 cup Tequila
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 2 limes zested and juiced
- 1 orange juiced
- 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 Tbsp ancho chile powder
- 1 tsp dried minced onion
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- Fresh minced cilantro (optional for garnish)
- Lime wedges (optional for garnish)
- Trim chicken breasts of any fat and set aside.
- Combine marinade ingredients (from tequila down to pepper) in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Alternatively, you could add the marinade ingredients to a zip top plastic bag, seal it, and shake well to combine.
- Add chicken breasts to the marinade, and either cover the mixing bowl with plastic wrap or seal the plastic bag. Place in refrigerator for at least 30 minutes or up to 8 hours.
- Preheat grill over MED/MED-HIGH heat. Brush your grill with a little vegetable oil and grill chicken for about 8 minutes per side, until cooked through and juices run clear.
- Let chicken rest for about 5 minutes to allow juices to redistribute.
- If desired, top chicken with a squeeze of lime juice and minced fresh parsley.
- Spoon some strawberry jalapeno and pineapple salsa over the top.
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!
The Chunky Chef is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.