This ultra creamy sauce is made from lager beer, milk, cheddar cheese and spices and is perfect for dipping or topping your favorite foods!
Thick and velvety cheesiness, with plenty of cheddar and beer flavor!
Creamy Beer Cheese Sauce
Lately, I’ve had an obsession with cheese. Beer cheese to be specific. Nearly all our favorite restaurants have an appetizer or two on the menu that come with beer cheese and OMG I can’t get enough. I’ve been on a mission to create a recipe that’s just as delicious as the restaurant’s version, if not better. DONE!
My favorite part about this recipe is how adaptive it is. Want a thicker sauce, more of a dip consistency? Simmer it longer or add a bit less liquid. Want it spicier? Add more cayenne, or some jalapeno. Play around with the cheese used, use a different beer, the possibilities are endless!
WHAT TO SERVE WITH BEER CHEESE?
There are so many ideas, it’s hard to narrow them down!
CAN BEER CHEESE SAUCE BE MADE AHEAD OF TIME?
Sure can! I personally think it tastes best when made fresh, but it can be done ahead of time. Just make sure you heat it up slowly and stir it often, otherwise it can become grainy and possibly separate.
WHAT KIND OF BEER SHOULD YOU USE FOR BEER CHEESE?
You can use whichever beer you like to drink. Make sure it’s a flavor you like, as it will be prevalent in the sauce. I love to use a lager-style beer, as it has a robust, yet light taste.
PRO TIPS FOR MAKING BEER CHEESE SAUCE:
- Don’t let the small amount of beer fool you, it still has plenty of beer flavor.
- Use a beer that you love the taste of, since it will be intensified in the sauce.
- For the best results, shred your own cheese. Pre-shredded cheese is coated in a substance to prevent it from clumping in the bag, which can make it not melt as smoothly in a sauce.
- Season and taste as you go. I’ve given you my base seasoning in the recipe, but feel free to add, subtract, or swap out for any seasonings you’d like.
OTHER GREAT PARTY RECIPES:
- Bacon Ranch Cheeseball
- BBQ Beer Lil Smokies
- Garlic and Herb Ham and Cheese Sliders
- Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Bacon Cheeseburger Dip
SHOP THE RECIPE:
- Box Grater – remember, the best sauce starts with freshly grated cheese!
- Saucepan – a great pot to have for so many sauces!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup lager beer
- 1 cup whole milk (half and half or heavy cream may be substituted)
- 1 tsp grainy dijon mustard (or regular dijon)
- 1/2 - 1 tsp Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/8 tsp cayenne pepper
- pinch of dried parsley (optional)
- 3 cups shredded cheddar cheese (or your favorite cheese) (about 12 oz)
- In a saucepan, melt butter over MED heat. Add flour and whisk until combined. Cook 30 seconds, while whisking occasionally.
- Add beer, whisking continuously as you pour, eliminating any lumps from the flour mixture. Slowly add in milk, whisking as you pour.
- Cook over MED heat, whisking often, for several minutes, until mixture has thickened. Stir in mustard, Worcestershire sauce, garlic powder, salt, pepper, and cayenne.
- Add cheese, a handful at a time, and stir until completely melted. Serve warm.
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!
The Chunky Chef is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.