Creamy Sausage Gravy
This Classic Sausage Gravy recipe is creamy, peppery, made from scratch, and just the perfect comfort food!
Servings: 6 servings
- 1 lb bulk sausage (I use the kind that comes in a roll, and use the country original or sage variety)
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 3 - 4 cups whole milk (amount depends on how thick you like your gravy)
- 1/2 tsp seasoned salt
- 1/4 tsp ground thyme
- 1/2 - 3/4 tsp black pepper
Brown sausage in a large skillet over medium high heat, crumbling as it browns.
Leave the grease in the skillet and reduce the heat to medium low. (If you don't have much grease from your sausage, add 2 Tbsp unsalted butter to the skillet). Add in the flour, stirring to combine. Cook for 1 - 2 minutes.
Pour in the milk, one cup at a time, stirring after each addition. Cook, stirring frequently, until gravy thickens to your desired consistency.
Add seasoned salt, ground thyme and black pepper and stir to combine.
- Crumble sausage as finely as you'd like, or leave in larger pieces. It's up to you.
- Recipe has been tested using whole milk and 2%. Both will work well, but we preferred using whole. Other milk types and non-dairy milks have not been tested.
- Make sure to cook the sausage and flour mixture for at least 1-2 minutes. This ensures your gravy won't taste like flour.
Calories: 430kcal | Carbohydrates: 19g | Protein: 21g | Fat: 29g | Saturated Fat: 12g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 83mg | Sodium: 797mg | Potassium: 577mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 14g | Vitamin A: 522IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 332mg | Iron: 1mg