Slow Cooker Mississippi Pot Roast Recipe
This Mississippi Pot Roast is made with no packets (from scratch), and is deliciously savory, buttery, and has the most beautiful tangy kick from the pepperoncini peppers!
Servings: 8 servings
Roast and broth
- 3 lb. boneless beef chuck roast
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 cup all purpose flour
- 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup reduced sodium beef broth
- 1 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 8-12 whole pepperoncini peppers (mild variety)
- 2 Tbsp liquid from pepperoncini pepper jar
- 3 Tbsp mayonnaise
- 2 1/2 Tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp milk
- 1 tsp dried parsley
- 1 tsp dried dill
- 1 tsp dried chives
- 1/4 tsp paprika
Slurry to thicken gravy
- 2 Tbsp milk
- 1 1/2 Tbsp cornstarch
Season roast with salt and pepper on all sides. Sprinkle roast with flour and rub in to coat.
Heat oil in a large skillet over MED HIGH heat. Once oil is hot and shimmering, add the roast and cook for about 3 minutes per side, or until deeply golden brown. Remove to slow cooker insert.
Pour beef broth in the skillet, using a wooden spoon to scrape the browned bits from the bottom. Stir in garlic powder and onion powder.
Transfer broth to the slow cooker insert. Add the pepperoncini liquid, and scatter peppers around the roast.
In a small mixing bowl, add the mayonnaise, vinegar, milk, parsley, dill, chives, and paprika. Stir together until smooth and combined.
Pour the ranch over the top of the roast in the slow cooker, then top with the butter.
Cover and cook on LOW for 8 hours.
Transfer remaining liquid from the slow cooker to a saucepan, removing any solids that remain. Heat over MED heat.
In a small bowl, combine milk and cornstarch, stirring until smooth. Stir into the saucepan and simmer the sauce for several minutes, or until thick enough to coat the back of a spoon.
Instant Pot Directions
Omit flour, mayonnaise, and milk (in the ranch).
- Cut roast into 2" pieces. Season roast with salt and pepper all over.
- Select “saute” and add vegetable oil. Heat until oil is shimmering. Add chuck roast pieces and brown for a few minutes on each side. Remove to a plate.
- Add beef stock and use a wooden spoon to scrape the bottom of the pot to loosen the browned bits.
- Stir in garlic powder, onion powder, dill, parsley, chives and paprika. Return the chuck roast to the pot, along with any juices that are on the plate.
- Add pepperoncinis, pepperoncini liquid, and butter.
- Secure lid, making sure the valve is set to “sealing”. Select manual or pressure cook and use the +/- buttons to set it for 45 minutes.
- When finished pressure cooking, allow the pot to perform a natural pressure release (this takes about 20 minutes).
- Open lid and remove roast and peppers to a plate.
- In a small mixing bowl, combine the milk, and cornstarch and whisk until smooth.
- Select “saute”and add in the cornstarch mixture. Cook and stir until sauce is thickened to your liking.
- While sauce is thickening, shred meat and discard peppers.
Calories: 451kcal | Carbohydrates: 7g | Protein: 34g | Fat: 32g | Saturated Fat: 15g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 13g | Trans Fat: 2g | Cholesterol: 143mg | Sodium: 564mg | Potassium: 685mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 790IU | Vitamin C: 13mg | Calcium: 50mg | Iron: 4mg