Copycat Whiskey-Glazed Sesame Chicken Strips
Crunchy chicken strips breaded simply and fried to crispy perfection, then tossed in a mouthwatering whiskey glaze! This copycat recipe tastes just like that appetizer from TGI Fridays!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 1/2 lbs boneless skinless chicken tenders
- peanut oil (or vegetable/canola oil) enough to fill a large heavy bottomed pot about 2 inches deep
- 1 cup all purpose flour
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1 Tbsp sesame seeds
- 1 tsp paprika
- 3/4 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- 1/4 cup buttermilk or regular milk
Sauce and garnish
- 1 cup whiskey glaze more or less, to taste (linked below in Chef Tips section)
- additional sesame seeds for garnish
- minced fresh parsley for garnish
Add oil to dutch oven (or other large heavy bottomed pot) and heat over MED heat to 350°F. Line a baking sheet with a paper towel, then top with a wire cooling rack. Set aside, near the stove.
Slice chicken tenders lengthwise in half.
Top another baking sheet or large plate with wax paper. Line up 2 shallow bowls next to the wax paper lined plate.
In one of the bowls, add the breading ingredients (flour, panko, sesame seeds, paprika, salt, garlic powder and black pepper). Stir together.
In the other bowl, add the eggs and buttermilk, beating together.
Bread the chicken
Add the chicken strips, one at a time, first in the breading bowl, turning to coat all sides, then shaking off the excess.
Next add the chicken strip to the egg mixture, turning to coat all sides, letting the excess drip off.
Next add the chicken strip back to the breading bowl, turning and patting to coat all sides very well.
Finally, transfer breading chicken strip to the wax paper lined baking sheet/plate. Repeat with remaining chicken pieces.
When oil is hot and has come to the 350°F temperature, gently add a chicken strip (carefully dropping away from you), then repeat with another 4 chicken strips.
Fry for approximately 5-6 minutes, or until golden brown and cooked through, flipping the chicken over halfway through frying so the other side can brown.
Remove to prepared wire cooling rack topped baking sheet, and repeat with any remaining chicken strips, frying 5 strips (or less) at a time.
Toss and Serve
Just before serving, add chicken to a large mixing bowl, drizzle with sauce and toss to combine.
To serve, sprinkle with sesame seeds and minced parsley and serve with a small ramekin or bowl of extra sauce.
- The Copycat Whiskey Glaze recipe (click for link)
- Any calorie information shared does not include the oil or whiskey glaze, as the amount of those ingredients will vary from person to person.
- I've estimated this will serve 4 people, but the exact serving amount will be up to you.
Calories: 474kcal | Carbohydrates: 45g | Protein: 47g | Fat: 10g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 204mg | Sodium: 884mg | Potassium: 797mg | Fiber: 3g | Sugar: 3g | Vitamin A: 458IU | Vitamin C: 2mg | Calcium: 116mg | Iron: 4mg