Lemon Sweet Tea
Lemon Sweet Tea is smooth, sweet, and oh so refreshing on a hot summer day! This classic Southern drink is incredibly easy to make at home, using simple ingredients, and with no bitterness!
Servings: 16 servings
Lemon simple syrup
- 2 lemons
- 2 cups granulated sugar
- 2 cups water
- 12 regular size tea bags (Luzianne is our favorite brand, but any brand will work)
- 6 cups water
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 10 cups water
- lemon slices
- rosemary sprig
Make the simple syrup
Use a paring knife to slice the peel off of the lemons, then set aside for a minute.
To a small saucepan, add 2 cups of sugar and 2 cups of water and bring to a boil over MED heat. Once boiling, add lemon peels and boil for 2-3 minutes, stirring occasionally, until mixture is clear (aside from the lemon peels).
Set simple syrup aside to cool.
Make the tea concentrate
Tie tea bags together at the top (by the tags). This makes it a lot easier to remove all the tea bags at once.
In another larger saucepan, add 6 cups of water and bring to a boil. Once boiling, remove from heat and let sit for a minute or so.
Add tea bags and let steep for 5-6 minutes. Remove tea bags, but don't squeeze the tea bags (this could make the tea bitter).
Transfer hot tea mixture to a large gallon-sized pitcher, or several smaller pitchers.
Put it all together
Place a strainer over the pitcher and pour in the cooled simple syrup through a strainer to remove the lemon peels.
Add baking soda and 10 cups of cold water, stirring well to combine.
Cover pitcher and chill in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or until cold.
- Recipe makes approximately 1 gallon, which translates into 16 8oz glasses.
- Recipe can be halved if you don't need a large batch of sweet tea.
- The baking soda neutralizes any possible bitterness that comes from hot brewing tea, but can be omitted if you want. Just know that your tea may have a slightly bitter taste.
- Everyone has their own preferences when it comes to the sweetness level, so please feel free to make and add more simple syrup (or less) if you'd like.
Calories: 100kcal | Carbohydrates: 26g | Protein: 1g | Fat: 1g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 31mg | Potassium: 19mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 25g | Vitamin A: 3IU | Vitamin C: 7mg | Calcium: 12mg | Iron: 1mg