Instant Pot Garlic Ginger Rice
Soft and fluffy jasmine rice, flavored with garlic, ginger and toasted sesame oil, made easily in the Instant Pot, and perfect as an Asian-inspired side dish!
Servings: 8 servings
- 2 cups jasmine rice NOT instant or minute rice
- 2 tsp toasted sesame oil
- 3 Tbsp grated fresh ginger or ginger paste
- 3 cloves garlic grated or very finely minced
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 2 cups reduced sodium chicken broth
- 2-3 fresh green onions sliced on the bias (optional garnish)
Select “saute” and choose the “low” option if you have that available. Add sesame oil, then add ginger and garlic and cook, stirring often, until very fragrant, about a minute or so.
Add the rice to the pot and stir. Cook, stirring occasionally, for about a minute. Stir in salt.
Cancel the “saute” function.
Pour in chicken broth, but don’t stir.
Secure lid, making sure the valve is in the “sealing” position. Select “manual” or “pressure cook”, and hit the +/- buttons to select 3 minutes (on high pressure if your model has an option).
Natural pressure release (NPR)
Fluff and serve
When the pin has dropped and all pressure has been released, open the lid and fluff rice with a fork.
Stir in sliced scallions (if using) and serve hot.
- Recipe can be doubled, the pressure cooking time remain the same.
- Recipe has only been tested with jasmine long grain rice. Mahatma is the brand I use most often. If you want to use a different kind, you'll have to experiment with the cooking time.
- Increase chicken broth to 2 2/3 cups, keep all other ingredients the same.
- Heat a saucepan over MED heat, and once hot, add the sesame oil.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook, stirring often, about a minute, or until very fragrant.
- Add rice, stir, and cook (stirring occasionally) for about another minute or two.
- Add chicken broth and salt, and bring to a boil.
- Once boiling, reduce heat to LOW, cover, and simmer for approximately 10 minutes (check the time listed on your rice package - it may be slightly different).
- Turn off the heat, leave the pot covered, and let sit for another 10-12 minutes.
- Uncover, remove from heat, and fluff with a fork.
- Stir in green onions and serve.
Calories: 193kcal | Carbohydrates: 39g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 2g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 1g | Sodium: 166mg | Potassium: 132mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 3IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 19mg | Iron: 1mg