Caribbean Citrus Habanero Chicken Skewers
Taste the Caribbean in these citrus habanero chicken skewers... marinated chicken, onions, peppers, and pineapple.. all grilled to smoky charred perfection!
Servings: 4 -6 servings
- 8-9 pieces boneless skinless chicken breasts, diced into 1"
- 2 pieces yellow or sweet onions diced into 1"
- 2 pieces red or green bell peppers diced into 1"
- pieces Fresh pineapple diced into 1" (I bought some already diced from my grocery store)
- 3 tsp orange zest
- 1 1/2 cup orange juice fresh is best, but good quality bottled juice is okay
- 1 cup plus 2 Tbsp soy sauce
- 3 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 10 cloves garlic minced
- 2 Tbsp El Yucateco Caribbean Hot Sauce more or less for your tastes
- 2 1/2 tsp fresh thyme minced
- 1 1/2 tsp fresh oregano minced
- 5 Tbsp honey more or less to your tastes
In a large mixing bowl, add marinade ingredients and whisk to combine well. Remove about 1/3 cup and place into an airtight container and refrigerate. Set aside the remaining marinade.
Trim chicken breasts of fat and dice into 1" pieces.
Add to bowl with the marinade and toss to coat. Cover tightly with plastic wrap and place in the refrigerator for 30 minutes, or up to 2 hours.
Dice onion, pepper and pineapple into 1" pieces and set aside.
Preheat grill over MED heat.
Make skewers by alternating chicken, onion, bell pepper and pineapple.
Grill, basting with reserved marinade, for several minutes per side, until chicken is cooked through.
** if you're going to be basting with the marinade that had RAW chicken in it, you need to boil it for 10 minutes before basting with it!
** Recipe makes enough to feed a crowd, but can be halved for an average family size
** these go amazingly well with some tropical pineapple coconut cashew rice