Creamy Peppered White Gravy
This classic White Gravy is ultra creamy, and speckled with plenty of black pepper. Perfect on chicken fried steak, fried chicken, mashed potatoes, biscuits and more!
Prep Time5 minutes mins
Cook Time7 minutes mins
Total Time12 minutes mins
Keyword: making gravy from scratch, white pepper gravy
Servings: 6 servings
- 1/3 cup butter
- 1/3 cup all purpose flour
- 2 cups milk
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp dried thyme optional but recommended
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper optional
Add butter, and melt over MED heat. Once melted, add flour, salt, pepper, thyme, and cayenne and whisk to combine.
Cook flour/butter mixture for 1-2 minutes.
Slowly pour in milk, about 1/2 cup at a time, whisking after each addition, until all milk has been added and no lumps remain.
Bring to a vigorous simmer, whisking frequently. Allow to simmer for about 3 - 5 minutes, or until gravy is smooth, creamy and thickened to your liking.
If gravy gets too thick, add a splash of milk or water to thin it out.
This recipe has been updated due to reader requests and my own testing.
If you were a fan of the original recipe, here it is:
- 3 Tbsp butter
- 3 Tbsp flour
- 1 cup milk, plus an optional additional 1-2 Tbsp (depending on your preference for a thinner or thicker gravy)
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- In a saucepan, melt butter.
- Once butter is melted, add the flour and whisk. It will look like the consistency of wet sand.
- Slowly add the milk, and whisk to incorporate. Whisk until smooth.
- Gravy will thicken, add in the additional milk if you want a thinner gravy.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
Calories: 167kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 3g | Fat: 13g | Saturated Fat: 8g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 35mg | Sodium: 513mg | Potassium: 124mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 485IU | Vitamin C: 1mg | Calcium: 99mg | Iron: 1mg