5 Minute Blender Eggnog
This light and deliciously creamy homemade eggnog can be made in just 5 minutes in your blender! Nothing hits the holiday spot more than a cup of eggnog!
Servings: 5 servings
- 4 large eggs the freshest you can find
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar (or superfine sugar)
- 1/2 tsp dried nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 3 oz cognac (about 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp)
- 3 oz bourbon (about 1/3 cup + 1 Tbsp)
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 cup heavy cream
Add whole eggs to blender and blend on MED speed (or LOW if you only have a HIGH and LOW setting option) for 30 seconds.
Add sugar and blend another 20 seconds.
Add nutmeg, cinnamon, cognac, bourbon, milk and heavy cream and blend until combined, about 10-15 seconds.
Transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for a day or so to allow flavors to combine and mellow.
Eggnog may have settled in the refrigerator, so either give it a good shake or two, or pour into a mixing bowl and give it a whisk to get everything combined.
Serve with some additional grated nutmeg on top, and an optional cinnamon stick.
Feel free to taste test and adjust the amount of alcohol to your tastes!
Recipe adapted from Jeffrey Morgenthaler
IF YOU PREFER A COOKED EGGNOG:
If you prefer a thicker eggnog, beat egg whites on MED/MED-HIGH speed until soft peaks form. Add a pinch of sugar and beat until stiff peaks form. Fold whipped egg whites into eggnog mixture before serving.
- Separate eggs.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat egg yolks until lighter in color. Add sugar in 3 batches, beating after each addition, until fluffy.
- To a saucepan, add milk, nutmeg and cinnamon and heat over LOW to MED-LOW heat, until steaming but not boiling.
- Take 1 cup of hot milk mixture and SLOWLY, while whisking continuously, pour it into the egg yolk mixture. This tempers the eggs and ensures they won't scramble.
- Transfer tempered egg yolk mixture to the saucepan with the rest of the steamed milk.
- Cook over MED heat, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon until mixture has thickened somewhat. You'll know it's ready when you dip the wooden spoon into the mixture, turn it over and run your finger down the back of the spoon, and the mixture coats the spoon but leaves a bare line where you ran your finger. Don't let the mixture boil!
- Take mixture off the heat and stir in the heavy cream. Let cool for approximately 1 hour.
- Stir in cognac and bourbon and transfer to an airtight container and refrigerate for a day or so before serving.
Calories: 465kcal | Carbohydrates: 35.4g | Protein: 8.3g | Fat: 23.9g | Cholesterol: 221.3mg | Sodium: 106.9mg | Sugar: 35.1g | Vitamin A: 1650IU