Baked Chicken Chimichangas
Crispy baked chimichangas stuffed with juicy Mexican spiced chicken and plenty of gooey cheese!
Servings: 6 servings
- 6 burrito-sized flour tortillas
- 3 cups Mexican shredded chicken
- 3/4 cup shredded Monterey Jack or PepperJack Cheese
- 3/4 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 2-3 Tbsp melted butter or vegetable oil
- sour cream
- pico de gallo
- green onion
- minced fresh cilantro
Preheat oven to 400°F. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with aluminum foil or parchment paper and set aside. Combine Monterey Jack and Cheddar cheeses in a small bowl.
Wrap tortillas in a damp paper towel and microwave until soft and pliable, about 20-25 seconds.
Drain excess liquid from Mexican shredded chicken, and set aside.
To the center of one tortilla, add a sprinkle of the cheese mixture, about 1/3 cup of the chicken, and another sprinkle of cheeses on top. Fold the edge nearest you over top of the filling, then fold the right and left sides in, then continue rolling up.
Place seam-side down on prepared baking sheet. Repeat with the rest of the tortillas.
Brush each chimichanga with melted butter or vegetable oil. Bake for 25-30 minutes, until golden brown and crispy.
Top with desired toppings and enjoy!
If using regular shredded chicken (like from a rotisserie chicken) you'll need about 2 cups of shredded chicken, then add:
- 1 cup of your favorite salsa
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp ancho chile pepper (or chili powder)
- 1/2 tsp dried Mexican oregano (or regular oregano)
- Combine chicken with ingredients listed above, then continue with recipe as directed.
Calories: 350kcal | Carbohydrates: 16g | Protein: 27g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 10g | Cholesterol: 90mg | Sodium: 455mg | Potassium: 231mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 1g | Vitamin A: 395IU | Calcium: 247mg | Iron: 2mg