Bright and fresh, this salsa is the best you’ve ever tasted! It takes just 5 minutes to make, and it’s sure to “wow” anyone you make it for!
Who else loves chips and salsa? I figured as much… it’s such a classic snack! I love salsa when it’s fresh and smooth, with small pieces of tomato, onion, jalapeno, with cilantro and lime juice. Bright and fresh with a kick, as the best salsa’s are!
This recipe is ridiculously simple to make, just throw all the ingredients in your food processor or blender, process it, and ta-da! Amazing salsa 😀
When I was pregnant with my son, I was completely addicted to Chili’s salsa and chips. I wanted to eat there ALL the time, and even when I wasn’t eating there I was trying to convince my husband to stop there on his way home to pick up some take out lol. He was always less than pleased. I still love their salsa, but since it’s not really cost effective to buy it, or go out to eat all the time, I figured that I would just find a way to make it at home 🙂
This salsa isn’t exactly a copycat of Chili’s version… it’s a little thicker and has more cilantro taste to it… but want to know a secret? I think I like it better! I know, blasphemy!
Jarred salsa can be good, but let me tell you, making it fresh… whew… you won’t want jarred anymore. Fresh blows that out of the water. Plus if you’re into canning, I’m sure you could can this salsa yourself and have it fresh year round 🙂 You could also freeze it 🙂
Okay back to the salsa!
Just gather your ingrediets, of course you don’t need to take a picture of them like I did lol. Roughly chop your onion, and jalapeno. Add the whole can of tomatoes, including juice, your chopped veggies, roughly chopped garlic, cumin, salt, sugar, a handful or more of cilantro, and juice some limes into your food processor.
Pulse it a couple of times, then turn it on and process until it’s your desired consistency. I like mine fairly smooth 🙂
To let this salsa have the best flavor, put it in an airtight container and in the refrigerator for a couple of hours. This lets the flavors really combine and get good and acquainted 🙂 And as a bonus, I like the taste of cold salsa, so that makes it even better.
Now just grab a bag of your favorite tortilla chips and sit down on the couch with some Netflix or your favorite movie… or hey, make this for Cinco de Mayo 😉
You know you want that chip I’m holding there… just imagine all those bright, salty, savory, fresh flavors. Mmmmm!!! So seriously, make this. It’s the best salsa you’ll ever taste!
Recipe adapted from Averie Cooks
Helpful Tools for This Recipe:
- CUISINART FOOD PROCESSOR – I use this food processor for everything, including making this recipe year round!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 28 ounce can whole plum tomatoes including juice
- 1 small white onion peeled and roughly chopped
- 1 - 2 jalepeno peppers seeded and chopped
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin or to taste
- 1 teaspoon salt or to taste
- 1/4 to 1 teaspoon granulated sugar optional, and to taste
- 1 - 2 handfuls cilantro I prefer 2
- About 3 tablespoons lime juice
- Add all ingredients to food processor in the order listed. Pulse a few times to break up the large pieces, then process until texture is as smooth as desired.
- Taste the salsa and based on personal preference, adjust as necessary.
- Transfer to airtight container and let sit in the refrigerator for a couple of hours or 1 day for best flavor.
- Serve with tortilla chips and enjoy!
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!
The Chunky Chef is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.