Grilled Tequila Lime Chicken
Chicken breasts marinated in a marinade of tequila, citrus juices, lime zest and flavorful spices!
Prep Time20 minutes mins
Cook Time12 minutes mins
Marinating Time30 minutes mins
Total Time1 hour hr 2 minutes mins
Course: Main Course
Keyword: grilled chicken recipe
Servings: 4 servings
- 4 boneless skinless chicken breasts trimmed of excess fat
Tequila lime marinade
- 1/3 cup tequila any kind will work
- 1/3 cup avocado oil or vegetable oil
- 3 fresh limes zested and juiced
- 1 large orange juiced
- 1/2 Tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 Tbsp ancho chile powder
- 1 tsp dried minced onion
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp dried parsley
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- minced fresh cilantro
- lime wedges
Top cutting board with wax paper, and top with a chicken breast. Top with another piece of wax paper and use the flat side of a meat mallet to pound chicken until about 1 inch thick.
Repeat with remaining chicken breasts, then set aside for a moment.
Combine marinade ingredients (tequila, oil, lime juice and zest, orange juice, chili powder, ancho chile powder, minced onion, salt, parsley and pepper) in a mixing bowl and whisk to combine. Alternatively, you could add the marinade ingredients to a zip top plastic bag, seal it, and shake well to combine.
Brush your grill with a little avocado or vegetable oil and grill chicken for about 5-6 minutes per side, until beautifully charred and cooked to an internal temperature of 165 F degrees.
Remove chicken from grill onto a plate or platter and let chicken rest for about 5 minutes to allow juices to redistribute.
- Calorie count listed is for 1 serving (1 chicken breast), but may be inflated due to the nutritional calculator including the entire serving of oil, when in reality, you aren't consuming that amount.
- Some photos show the chicken topped with this avocado corn salsa.
Cooking chicken on the stovetop
- Prepare and marinate chicken as directed.
- Preheat a grill pan or heavy bottomed skillet over MED HIGH heat. Add a drizzle of vegetable oil, then add chicken, 2 breasts at a time (unless you have a huge skillet or pan).
- Cook for 5-6 minutes per side, until beautifully charred and cooked to an internal temperature of 165°F.
- Set chicken aside on a plate and let rest for 5 minutes.
- Serve with a squeeze of lime and sprinkled with minced cilantro if desired.
Calories: 497kcal | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 49g | Fat: 24g | Saturated Fat: 3g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 4g | Monounsaturated Fat: 15g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 145mg | Sodium: 877mg | Potassium: 983mg | Fiber: 2g | Sugar: 5g | Vitamin A: 767IU | Vitamin C: 28mg | Calcium: 41mg | Iron: 1mg