You know I’m all about meat… burgers, chicken, steak… you name it! But sometimes you just want to lighten it up a bit, and that’s where this meal comes into play. It’s a vegetarian taco meal, but for all you omnivores out there… don’t be turned off by the lack of meat… these black bean and sweet potato soft tacos are hearty enough to satisfy both vegetarians and meat-eaters alike!
Now tell me that doesn’t look hearty and delicious! 🙂 Peeled sweet potatoes are roasted with spices until they’re lightly caramelized, then sauteed with black beans, corn, onions, and tossed with a touch of honey and lime. Spoon that wonderful taco filling into some flour tortillas, top with some diced buttery avocado, shredded lettuce and purple cabbage, and torn cilantro leaves, and finish with a cool and refreshing honey, cilantro, and lime sour cream.
Not only is this meal incredibly delicious and hearty, it’s also simple to prepare… in about 30 minutes! Perfect for a quick weeknight meal 🙂
You may have noticed the extra part of my post title… #SundaySupper. This is a group I’ve recently become a part of that I hold very close to my heart. It’s all about bringing families around the dinner table to share a meal prepared with love, and promoting togetherness. Growing up, more often than not, we all had dinner together. At the time, I didn’t realize how important that was, but I do now. My kids are young, so it’s easy for us all to have a meal together. Even when my husband works late… if it’s at all possible, I hold dinner so we can try to eat together. As the kids get older, I know it will be harder to always eat together, but I love the idea of a Sunday dinner. So I’m very excited to be a part of this movement and I hope you’ll all share in my excitement!
This week’s #SundaySupper event is all about BEANS 🙂 A big thanks to Tammie over at Momma’s Meals for hosting this event!
Okay, on to the recipe at hand 🙂 The first thing you’ll do is peel some sweet potatoes, toss them with some olive oil and your seasonings. Roast them in the oven for about 20-25 minutes.
While the potatoes are roasting, saute your onion and garlic, then add in the drained black beans, and corn. Add in the roasted sweet potatoes and toss together with some honey and lime juice and minced cilantro.
Your filling is complete! You may have noticed in the beginning pictures that my flour tortillas look a little… ahem… rustic and not quite round and uniform lol. I made my own Flour Tortillas earlier in the day 🙂 If you’ve never made your own before… don’t be scared by it… it’s verrrrrry simple, takes about 30-40 minutes, and the flavor is absolutely incredible! However, these black bean tacos would still be amazingly good with store-bought tortillas as well 🙂
Now you can top these tacos with any toppings you want, seriously, customize these to your tastes 🙂 I chose some shredded romaine lettuce, shredded purple cabbage (I love the color and the crunch), diced avocado, roughly chopped cilantro leaves and a delicious cream sauce. To make the sauce I just combined sour cream, lime juice, cilantro, honey, and a pinch of salt and chili powder in my food processor and pulsed until I had a smooth, creamy sauce.
You can see that the cream sauce is completely optional… the tacos are delicious with or without it 🙂
I’m getting hungry for one of these tacos just from writing this post!
Recipe adapted from Cooking Classy
Don’t miss a new recipe, enter your email below to stay updated!
Serves: 6 servings
- 1 1/2 lbs sweet potatoes, peeled and diced into 1/2-inch cubes
- 4 Tbsp olive oil, divided
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1/4 tsp ground coriander
- 1/8 - 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- Salt and pepper
- 1 small yellow or white onion, finely diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 (14.5) oz can black beans, thoroughly rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen corn, thawed and drained
- 3 Tbsp honey
- 3 Tbsp fresh lime juice
- 2 Tbsp chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- Flour tortillas
- Shredded romaine lettuce
- Shredded purple cabbage
- Diced avocado
- Minced cilantro
Honey Lime and Cilantro Cream Sauce:
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- small handful of fresh cilantro
- 1/2 tsp honey
- Juice of 1/2 a lime
- Satl, pepper and chili powder, to taste
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil, set aside. Peel and dice sweet potatoes and place in large bowl. Add 3 tablespoons of olive oil and add in paprika, cumin, chili powder, coriander, cayenne and salt and pepper. Toss to coat evenly, then pour onto prepared baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until tender and slightly caramelized, stirring once halfway through baking.
- While the potatoes are roasting, in a large skillet, heat remaining 1 Tbsp olive oil over medium-high heat. Add onion and saute about 5 - 6 minutes, adding in garlic during last minute of cooking. Reduce heat a bit, to medium-low, add in drained and rinsed black beans, and corn, and heat until warmed through.
- Add in roasted sweet potatoes, drizzle with honey and lime juice and cilantro. Stir to combine well. Serve over warm tortillas with desired toppings.
- Combine sour cream, cilantro, lime juice, honey, salt, pepper, and chili powder in a food processor and pulse until smooth. Serve drizzled over the tacos.
Linked to Made By You Monday | Melt in Your Mouth Mondays | Munching Mondays | Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesdays | Try a New Recipe Tuesday | Take A Look Tuesday | Totally Talented Tuesdays | Lou Lou Girls Fabulous Party | Simple Suppers | What’s Cooking Wednesdays | Whimsy Wednesdays | The Wednesday Roundup | Wordless Wednesday | Showcase Your Talent Thursdays | Full Plate Thursdays | Favorite Things Blog Hop | Foodie Fridays | Fiesta Fridays | Pure Blog Love | Pin Junkie Pin Party | Foodie Friends Friday | Foodie Friday and Everything Else | Fresh Ideas for Your Home | Friday Favorites | Show Stopper | Best of the Weekend | Show and Tell Saturday | Link Party Palooza
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.
Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement!
Don’t forget to check out all the other amazing bean recipes listed below… they sure look awesome!!!
- Avocado Hummus by Our Good Life
- Bean Ragoût and Crisped Mushrooms by Culinary Adventures with Camilla
- Black Bean Chili Nachos by Brunch with Joy
- Chickpea Fries (Panisse) by Curious Cuisiniere
- Five Layer Greek Hummus Dip by Food Done Light
- Pizza Roasted Chickpeas by A Kitchen Hoor’s Adventures
- White Bean and Basil Spread by Peaceful Cooking
Bean-a-rific Soups and Stews:
- Butternut Squash White Bean Soup by Magnolia Days
- Chickpea and Bean Soup by Momma’s Meals
- Classic Cassoulet by Food Lust People Love
- Navy Bean & Kale Soup by An Appealing Plan
- Navy Bean Soup by The Messy Baker
- Slow Cooker Pork and Bean Stew by Nosh My Way
- Kielbasa and White Bean Soup by Cosmopolitan Cornbread
- Spicy Sausage, White Bean and Spinach Soup by Bobbi’s Kozy Kitchen
- Bean and Cornbread Salad by MealDiva
- Clams with Black Beans by A Day in the Life on the Farm
- Gluten Free Green Bean Casserole by Gluten Free Crumbley
- Gold Rush Baked Beans by Lifestyle Food Artistry
- Maple Brown Sugar Baked Beans by Carrie’s Experimental Kitchen
- Pinto Beans With Cornbread Croutons by Nik Snacks
- Whiskey Bacon Baked Beans by Sew You Think You Can Cook
Incredi-bean Main Meals:
- Arugula Tomato and Beans Flatbread by Family Foodie
- Bean and Bacon Tacos by Jane’s Adventures in Dinner
- Beefy Lima Bean Casserole by Cindy’s Recipes and Writings
- Colombian Red beans – Frisoles Antioquenos by Palatable Pastime
- Italian Beans and Greens by Simply Healthy Family
- Honey-Lime Black Bean and Sweet Potato Tacos by The Chunky Chef
- One Pot Tuscan Style Garlic Herb Pork Chops by Hezzi-D’s Books and Cooks
- Orecchiette with White Beans and Swiss Chard by Delaware Girl Eats
- Skillet Black Beans and Pork by Cooking Chat
- Ultimate Chili Stuffed Sweet Potatoes by Pancake Warriors
- White Bean Ragout, Frisèe, and a Fried Egg by The Wimpy Vegetarian
Amaze-beans Sweet Endings:
- Chocolate Covered Espresso Bean Bark by Love and Confections
- Flourless Almond Joy Cookie Dough Ball by Cupcakes & Kale Chips
- Flourless Mocha Brownies by That Skinny Chick Can Bake
- Gluten-Free Black Bean Brownies by Wallflour Girl
- Gluten-Free Donuts by NinjaBaker
- Pecan Praline Black Bean Brownies by Rhubarb and Honey
- Soy Awesome Cookies 2.0 by What Smells So Good?
- Strawberry Coco-Cacao Bean Smoothie by Dandelion Greens
- Sweet Bean Pie by Shockingly Delicious
- Vanilla Bean Creme Brulee by Noshing With The Nolands
Join the #SundaySupper conversation on twitter on Sunday! We tweet throughout the day and share recipes from all over the world. Our weekly chat starts at 7:00 pm ET. Follow the #SundaySupper hashtag and remember to include it in your tweets to join in the chat. To get more great Sunday Supper Recipes, visit our website or check out our Pinterest board.Would you like to join the Sunday Supper Movement? It’s easy. You can sign up by clicking here: Sunday Supper Movement.