Easy homemade caramel popcorn, with great gingerbread spices. You won’t believe how easy it is to make this classic sweet snack!
Caramel popcorn is such an easy sweet treat to make, and this version has sweet gingerbread spices mixed in with the buttery caramel. You’ll never want store-bought caramel corn again!
With so much to do this time of year, the last thing you need is a complicated holiday dessert/snack right? It’s so simple to make, and has only about 15 minutes (if that) of hands-on time!
This time of year those big tins of multi-flavored popcorn with the winter scenes painted on the side are in about every store.
My absolute favorite part has always been the caramel popcorn! I think it’s because it reminds me of my all-time favorite snack… Cracker Jack!
Oh man, the gingerbread spices give this caramel corn a great subtle flavor twist that will have you coming back for handful after handful!
TIPS AND TRICKS FOR THIS CARAMEL POPCORN:
- To measure sticky ingredients like the molasses and corn syrup, lightly spray the inside of a measuring cup with non-stick cooking spray. It really helps! A rubber spatula works like a charm too.
- Make sure you line your baking sheet with parchment paper that’s been sprayed with non-stick cooking spray. Baked-on caramel is definitely not fun to clean up!
- I usually use a bag of pre-popped popcorn, microwave bags, or use popcorn kernels in a glass bowl… check out the tutorial for that here.
- After you’ve finished making the caramel sauce, as you’re pouring it over the popcorn, don’t just glob it on… drizzle it around and stir it quickly. It will start to harden pretty fast.
- On that note, don’t worry if all the popcorn is coated. As it bakes, the caramel sauce will loosen up some, and when you stir it, it should cover most of the popcorn.
HELPFUL TOOLS FOR THIS RECIPE:
- Heavy bottomed saucepan – I have several high-end brand pans, and this one outperforms them all!
- Baking sheets – I’ve had two of these pans for several years and they’ve held up to a LOT of use!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 14 cups popped popcorn
- 1 1/4 cups packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup light corn syrup
- 1/4 cup molasses
- 2 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- pinch ground cloves
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 - 1 tsp vanilla extract
- Lightly coat a large (the biggest you have - or if you don't have really large mixing bowls, you'll have to use two and divide popcorn in half), mixing bowl with non-stick cooking spray. Add popped popcorn and set aside.
- Line two 15x10" baking pans with parchment paper and lightly spray with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside. Preheat oven to 250 F degrees.
- Add brown sugar, butter, corn syrup, molasses, ginger, cinnamon and salt to a heavy bottomed saucepan and heat over MED heat, stirring constantly. Bring to a boil, then boil without stirring for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in baking soda and vanilla. The caramel will foam a little bit, that's okay. Working quickly, pour mixture over popcorn and mix as well as you can. If not all the popcorn is covered, that's okay, as it bakes the caramel will thin out and be easier to stir and coat.
- Transfer popcorn to prepared baking pans. Bake for 1 hour, stirring every 10-15 minutes. Let cool in pans, break apart any large clumps and store in an airtight container.
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!
The Chunky Chef is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Leave a Comment