The most amazing crispy roasted potatoes that are rubbed with a fantastic homemade Greek seasoning blend! Perfect as a side dish for just about any meal!
Regular roasted potatoes are amazing, but the right seasonings can really take them over the top. Instead of the traditional garlic and herbs, I made my own Greek seasoning blend… which is fabulous on SO many things!
Do you have a go-to side dish? For us, it’s always been potatoes. We love them in just about every form! Potato wedges, mashed potatoes… you name it. Up until recently I’d never been able to get the perfect roasted potatoes down though.
They were always well seasoned and tasty, but never with that beautiful crispiness. It turns out, I was missing one crucial step!
You see, there are essentially 3 main “rules” to follow to ensure amazing crispy potatoes.
HOW TO MAKE CRISPY ROAST POTATOES IN THE OVEN
- Use a large or extra large baking sheet. The potatoes need to have room in between them, otherwise they’ll sort of steam instead of roasting.
- Start with a HOT pan. When you preheat your oven, add your baking sheet so it heats up along with the oven. When you add the potatoes, they should sizzle!
- Soak your potatoes first. This gets rid of a lot of the starch, which is what keeps non-soaked potatoes from getting ridiculously crispy. After you soak them, give them a rinse with clean cold water. This is the step I was missing!! Make sure you dry the potatoes afterwards. Wet potatoes won’t crisp up!
I learned about the soaking step from Rachel of the site RachelCooks.com. She has some fabulous recipes, so stop on over and check them out!
HOW LONG DO YOU ROAST POTATOES AT 400 DEGREES
About 40 minutes, stirring or turning the potatoes over after 25 minutes. I know it’s tedious, but I like to turn use tongs to turn each potato over… that way I can ensure each and every potato is crisped on both sides!
WHAT ABOUT ROASTED POTATOES IN A CAST IRON SKILLET
You can absolutely roast these potatoes in a trusty cast iron skillet! Just preheat the skillet on the stovetop or in the oven as it comes up to temperature, and follow the recipe as written.
My favorite part about these oven roasted potatoes is the crispiness… BUT, a very close second is the homemade Greek seasoning blend! Not only is it amazing on these potatoes, but you can also use it on chicken, pork, beef, eggs, or mix it with some lemon juice/vinegar and olive oil to make a fabulous vinaigrette!
The next time you’re looking for an amazing side dish that will be a family favorite, give these Greek roasted potatoes a try!!
Want to try these Oven Roasted Potatoes?
PIN IT to your SIDE DISHES or POTATO board to save for later!
Find me on Pinterest for more great recipes!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 3 lbs baby Yukon gold potatoes (or baby red potatoes, or a mix of the two)
- 4 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 Tbsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp dried minced onion
- 3/4 tsp dried thyme leaves
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/2 tsp dried basil
- Slice baby potatoes in half (quartering any unusually large ones), then place into a bowl of cold water. Let potatoes soak about 30 minutes, changing the water if it becomes really cloudy.
- Place extra large baking sheet in oven on the middle rack. Preheat oven to 400 F degrees with baking sheet inside.
- Rinse potatoes with clean cold water, then place into a kitchen towel or paper towels to dry thoroughly. Add potatoes to a large mixing bowl once dry.
- Add oil and toss to coat. Add all seasonings and use your hands to rub the mixture into all the potatoes.
- Remove baking sheet from oven (careful, it will be HOT!!), and drizzle it lightly with a tiny bit of oil. Add potatoes to hot baking sheet and spread carefully into an even layer.
- Bake 25 minutes, then flip each potato over or stir with a spatula. Bake another 15 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!