Crispy Cheesy Roasted Broccoli
Fresh broccoli florets are roasted until tender, then topped with a panko and shredded cheese topping which makes this the most amazing roasted broccoli recipe ever!
Not your typical roasted broccoli recipe, this version is amazingly flavorful, with fantastic crunch from a topping of panko/reduced fat shredded cheese combo! This recipe will convert any non-veggie lover!
Enter… this super incredible crispy cheesy roasted broccoli!! This recipe was based off of one I found in an old weight watchers magazine, but I altered it a bit to lower the point value down to 3 freestyle smart points per serving.
The points here are coming from three things… the olive oil, the cheese, and the panko. And trust me, it’s SO worth it!!
WHAT OVEN TEMPERATURE DO YOU USE FOR ROASTED BROCCOLI
Most of the other roasted broccoli recipes I’ve seen and made, used an oven temperature of 425 F degrees. But I like to use a high oven temp, 500 F degrees to be exact. This allows the broccoli to get super crispy and still retain a hint of a bite, so they’re not completely mush.
HOW LONG DOES IT TAKE TO ROAST BROCCOLI IN THE OVEN
Well that depends on what oven temperature you’re using, but for this recipe it only takes 11-13 minutes! That’s another reason why I love this high temperature recipe… it takes less time!
WHAT GOES WELL WITH ROASTED BROCCOLI
The sky is the limit! Of the recipes here on the blog, you could make a great dinner out of this roasted broccoli recipe and either low carb chicken tenders, chipotle glazed meatloaf, or prosciutto wrapped shrimp. Or go full vegetarian and serve alongside a big bowl of tomato basil soup with pesto!
You could probably reduce the point value by reducing the amount of cheese if you wanted to as well.
I hope you give this delicious roasted broccoli a try… it’s truly my favorite!!
- Large rimmed baking sheet – one of my favorite sheet pans, and there’s plenty of room for the veggies to really get crispy!
- Box grater – just in case you don’t have one, this is the one I have and love!
Crispy Cheesy Roasted Broccoli
- 12 oz fresh broccoli florets
- 1 1/2 Tbsp olive oil
- 2 oz reduced fat cheddar cheese, finely shredded - (I usually use 2% reduced fat)
- 1/8 cup panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp kosher salt
- bit of vegetable oil cooking spray
- Preheat oven to 500 F degrees. Line a large rimmed baking sheet with foil or parchment paper and set aside.
- To a large mixing bowl, add broccoli florets and olive oil, giving it a toss with your hands to fully coat the broccoli with the oil. Add pepper and salt and toss again to combine.
- Transfer broccoli to prepared baking sheet and bake 8 minutes. While broccoli is baking, combine cheese and panko in a small bowl.
- Remove baking sheet from oven and sprinkle broccoli with cheese/panko mixture. Spray quickly with a little cooking spray and return to oven for 3-5 minutes, until cheese is melted and a bit crispy.
- Can be served from the baking sheet or alternatively, after broccoli is finished with the first 8 minute bake, transfer broccoli to a large casserole dish. Top with cheese/panko and bake 3-5 minutes and serve directly from the dish. Just make sure the casserole dish is oven safe at 500!
Calories: 113 | Carbohydrates: 8g | Protein: 6g | Fat: 6g | Saturated Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 2mg | Sodium: 285mg | Potassium: 278mg | Sugar: 1g | Fiber: 2g | Vitamin A: 11.2% | Vitamin C: 92% | Calcium: 10.5% | Iron: 4.7%
I’m not a nutritionist, and nutritional values here on my recipes should be used for general information purposes only. This information is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. You should seek prompt medical care for any specific health issues and consult your physician before starting a new diet and fitness regimen.