All Purpose Braised Crockpot Shredded Chicken
This crockpot shredded chicken is made with chicken breasts, spices, broth and beer which makes for an ultra tender and flavorful shredded chicken. It’s all purpose flavor makes it great to use for tacos, baked potatoes, nachos, and more!
When time is tight during the week we like to make a big batch of this beer braised crockpot shredded chicken and use it for several meals throughout the week! At just 1 freestyle smart point per serving, you’re free to add sauces, salsas and other mix-ins to flavor this chicken up any way you’d like!
What’s the most common protein you cook in your house? For us, it’s chicken. Beef is probably a close second… but now that we’re eating a little healthier, it’s mostly chicken. The only problem there is that we all tend to get into dinner ruts, where we make the same thing over and over again, right?
I know we do. When the kids actually like a meal, we definitely make note of it and it goes in our permanent dinner rotation! Between the dinner ruts and crazy hectic weeknights, dinner can be a hassle!
That’s why I love this all-purpose shredded chicken! You can make a big batch and use the leftovers to make different meals throughout the week!
HOW LONG CAN YOU KEEP SHREDDED CHICKEN IN THE REFRIGERATOR
3-4 days is what I typically do. On about day 2-3, any extra leftovers that I know I won’t eat in the next one to two days, I package into freezer ziploc bags and freeze. Frozen shredded chicken is safe for 1-3 months.
WHAT KIND OF BEER SHOULD I USE
I like to use darker beers for this, as they tend to have a higher percentage of alcohol, which is what really tenderizes the chicken. Plus I just like the taste with the hint of brown sugar in the seasoning mix. But since you’re making this recipe for YOU… choose a beer that you know you love. If you know you hate to drink IPA’s, then don’t use that here. The beer flavor will intensify!
WHAT OTHER MEALS CAN I MAKE WITH BEER BRAISED SHREDDED CHICKEN
The first night, we love this chicken on it’s own, with some vegetables as a side, or maybe over some egg noodles. But for the rest of the week, we’ve used this chicken in just about everything!
- To top a big green entree salad
- As a topper for a baked potato
- Mix in some corn, black beans, jalapeno, etc. and top some baked tortilla chips. Add a sprinkle of cheese and broil for some tasty chicken nachos.
- Add to quesadillas, burritos, tacos
- Stir in some of your favorite bbq sauce and serve on whole wheat buns
- Use in any casseroles that call for cooked shredded chicken
- Use in any soups that call for cooked shredded chicken
The sky is the limit here! The beer flavor isn’t SUPER prominent, so the shredded chicken can really blend into just about any meal you want to make.
CAN I MAKE THIS SHREDDED CHICKEN IN AN INSTANT POT
Yes! The great thing about using an instant pot is that you can actually use frozen chicken breasts too, so if you didn’t have the time to defrost them, it’s okay. Add all ingredients to the pot, lock the lid in place and set valve to “seal”. Manually select high pressure and select 10 minutes. When the chicken is finished cooking, do a natural pressure release for 10 minutes (then do a quick pressure release to get rid of any remaining pressure). Shred the chicken and you’re good to go! Fresh chicken breasts usually come to pressure in 10-15 minutes, but using frozen chicken breasts will make this take a little longer. The actual 10 minute cook time is the same for both frozen and fresh though.
I hope you all give this healthy crockpot shredded chicken a try!
- Slow Cooker – I’m a huge fan of Hamilton Beach slow cookers, and I love the latch on this one so you can transport it!
- Instant Pot – If you don’t have one, it’s really an invaluable kitchen tool! I’m starting to use mine more and more!
- Bear Paws – seriously the best thing ever when it comes to shredding meat!
All Purpose Crockpot Shredded Chicken
- 2-3 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken breasts - , trimmed of excess fat
- 1 medium yellow onion - , sliced (optional)
- 1 Tbsp packed light brown sugar
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp dried minced onion
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1/2 tsp smoked paprika
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 8 oz. Guinness draught beer - (or your favorite beer)
- 6 oz. fat free chicken broth - (reduced sodium if available)
- If using onion, add to bottom of slow cooker. Top with chicken, then all seasonings. Rub seasonings into the chicken.
- Pour beer and chicken broth into the slow cooker, cover, and cook on LOW 5-6 hours, until chicken is tender and shreds easily with a fork. Chicken can also be cooked on HIGH for 2-3 hours.
- Shred chicken with two forks and serve with extra juice on the side if desired. Store leftovers in the refrigerator, sealed, for 3-4 days (only reheating the portion you want to eat). Alternately, place shredded chicken into freezer ziploc bags and freeze for several months (make sure they're well sealed).
Calories: 155 | Carbohydrates: 4g | Protein: 24 | Fat: 3g | Saturated Fat: 0g | Cholesterol: 72mg | Sodium: 510mg | Potassium: 460mg | Sugar: 2g | Fiber: 0g | Vitamin A: 1.9% | Vitamin C: 3.4% | Calcium: 1.2% | Iron: 3.1%
I’m not a nutritionist, and nutritional values here on my recipes should be used for general information purposes only. This information is not a substitute for medical advice or treatment for specific medical conditions. You should seek prompt medical care for any specific health issues and consult your physician before starting a new diet and fitness regimen.