Creamy Nutella Crockpot Hot Chocolate
Make drinks for a crowd with the BEST creamy and delicious nutella crockpot hot chocolate! Perfect for any holiday or cozy night in.
Have you ever made hot chocolate in your slow cooker? It’s a great way to make a large amount!
Perfect for the holidays or any party/gathering, this boozy nutella crockpot hot chocolate is sure to be a huge hit! Everything is made right in the crockpot, so it’s easy to make a large batch and keep it warm for your guests. Plus, if you’re feeling frisky, you can add a shot of your favorite alcohol to your mug… my personal favorite is bourbon!
I’ve been testing a LOT of different hot chocolate combinations for you guys, and this one takes the cake. I feel like I say that about every recipe I share… I mean, I wouldn’t be sharing them if I didn’t love them! But this hot chocolate recipe is just so perfectly creamy, with that wonderful nutella undertone. And let’s be real here guys… nutella is simply amazing!
WHY MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE IN THE CROCKPOT?
I totally get it. Why would you wait 2 hours for a drink that could be ready in 5-10 minutes right? Well in certain circumstances, here’s why.
- Making it in the slow cooker allows you to make a large amount at once (for a party, etc)
- The slow cooker allows you to keep the hot chocolate warm for long periods of time
- Crockpot hot chocolate is perfect for a “hot chocolate bar” at a party, where your guests can ladle themselves a mug of hot chocolate, then top it with any of the variety of toppings you have out!
If none of those apply to you, then by all means, feel free to make this recipe on your stove top… those instructions are in the recipe notes section directly under the recipe card below.
To get that beautiful frothiness, once it’s finished cooking, whisk vigorously (just be careful not to splash it everywhere), until it’s frothy. Easy peasy.
WHAT’S THE DIFFERENCE BETWEEN HOT CHOCOLATE AND HOT COCOA?
Even though the names seem pretty interchangeable, traditionally, there’s a difference. In many cases, hot cocoa is thinner and less rich than hot chocolate. This is usually because hot cocoa is traditionally made using water and cocoa powder, where as hot chocolate is made with milk (or cream), and uses either all chocolate, or a mixture of cocoa and chocolate.
CAN YOU USE NON-DAIRY MILKS TO MAKE HOT CHOCOLATE?
You sure can! Almond or cashew milks would be my natural choice, as the subtle nutty flavor would go beautifully with the hazelnut and chocolate. But feel free to use your favorite non-dairy milk product! In general, dairy-free milks are thinner than whole milk, so your hot chocolate may not be as creamy… but canned coconut milk can be mixed with your milk to thicken it some.
CAN YOU MAKE A SINGLE SERVING OF NUTELLA HOT CHOCOLATE?
Yes indeed. Sometimes you want a mug of hot chocolate, but you don’t really need, or want, to make a big batch right? Here’s the recipe for an individual serving:
- 1 cup whole milk
- 2 tsp cocoa powder
- 3 Tbsp nutella
- 1 Tbsp milk chocolate chips
Add all ingredients to a small saucepan and simmer over MED heat 5-6 minutes, then serve! Or you could add it all to a mug and microwave until simmering and hot, then stir really well to make sure it’s combined.
What makes this hot chocolate even more amazing? That you can add booze! A shot of bourbon is my favorite add in, but hazelnut liqueur, or your favorite liquor would be great too. Just make sure you add the booze to the mugs individually, so the alcohol doesn’t cook off during the cooking process!
PRO TIPS FOR MAKING THE BEST HOT CHOCOLATE AT HOME:
- Make sure you’re using whole milk. 2% or other reduced fat milks just won’t be as thick and rich and creamy in your mouth. It’s supposed to be an indulgence… treat yo’ self!
- Use quality cocoa. I’ve tried our store-brand cocoa a few times and it just wasn’t as rich and chocolate-y, but use whatever brand you prefer.
- Use quality chocolate chips. Or even grab a milk chocolate bar and finely chop 1/2 cup. My favorite chocolate chips to use are Ghirardelli and Guittard.
- Warm up your mugs if possible. Obviously it’s not necessary, and it won’t keep your hot chocolate hot for hours, but it helps keep it toasty a little bit longer. Pamper yourself!
- Top with your favorite toppings! Whipped cream, marshmallows, grated chocolate, etc… it tastes so much better when it’s topped decadently!
OTHER HOT CHOCOLATE RECIPES:
SHOP THE RECIPE:
- 4 quart slow cooker – I love this little crockpot, and love the all-clad quality. If you’re looking for something a bit more budget friendly, this is a great option.
- Glass mugs – these are the mugs that are shown in the photos… I love them!
- Chocolate chips – my all-time favorite brand for chocolate chips!
Make drinks for a crowd with the BEST creamy and delicious nutella crockpot hot chocolate!
- 8 cups whole milk
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 13 oz jar Nutella (chocolate hazelnut spread)
- 1/2 cup milk chocolate chips
- mini marshmallows
- chocolate syrup
- whipped cream
- shaved or grated chocolate
- shot of your favorite liquor
Add milk, cocoa powder, nutella, and chocolate chips to a 4qt slow cooker. Whisk to combine, cover, and cook on LOW for 2 hours... stirring occasionally.
Serve topped with desired toppings! If adding liquor, add it to individual mugs, rather than the whole slow cooker, so the alcohol doesn't cook off.
STOVE TOP VERSION
Add milk, cocoa powder, nutella and chocolate chips to large saucepan or stockpot. Heat over MED heat and stir until everything is well combined and mixture is simmering. Simmer 5 minutes, then serve with desired toppings.