Oven baked BBQ chicken pizza nachos… the awesome combination of homemade bbq sauce, juicy chicken, gooey cheese and tons of toppings!
These oven baked BBQ chicken pizza nachos are the best of both worlds… the lovechild of BBQ chicken pizza and party nachos! The sweet and smoky heat of the homemade BBQ sauce is what really makes these nachos stand out from the rest!
Ready to break some healthy resolutions? If you’re going to fall off the healthy bandwagon, these nachos are TOTALLY the way to go!
When I’m at a restaurant, craving that “bar food” type of meal, I have a hard time choosing between nachos and bbq chicken pizza. Seriously, it’s a little scary how much weight I place on these kind of decisions lol. So when I was brainstorming some new party food recipes, naturally I had to find a way to merge the two!
These nachos are pretty much like if BBQ chicken pizza married nachos and they had a baby… a delicious baby! Hmm, I think that came out a bit creepy lol.
Most of the great flavor comes from a simple homemade honey chipotle BBQ sauce that is not only drizzled on top of the nachos, but also is the sauce the chicken is baked in, and the base for the creamy bbq cheese sauce that smothers the nachos! I pretty much am in LOVE with this sauce!
I love how easy it is to assemble these nachos…. plus, all the prep work can be done ahead of time! I’m not even ashamed to say that I’ve totally had these for dinner before lol.
The topping ideas here are really up to you! I went with chopped red onion, sliced green onion, and minced cilantro as a base… but also found that a drizzle of some balsamic reduction glaze is really amazing!
It might seem like a weird combo, but trust me… it’s a good one!
Of course, these oven baked BBQ nachos are equally amazing straight out of the oven, with no toppings too!
Basically, you need these nachos in your life. Trust me on this one 😉
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
HONEY CHIPOTLE BBQ SAUCE
- 1/2 small yellow onion chopped
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 3/4 cup ketchup
- 1/3 cup pineapple juice
- 1/3 cup honey
- 1/4 cup light brown sugar
- 2 Tbsp molasses
- 1-2 in Chipotle peppers adobo sauce + 2 tsp adobo sauce from can
- 1 tsp worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1/4 tsp chili powder
- 1 Tbsp of bourbon optional
BBQ CHEESE SAUCE
- 1 cup homemade bbq sauce
- 1/3 cup sour cream
- 2 Tbsp ranch dressing
- handful of shredded Mexican blend cheese
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts baked and shredded
- Tortilla chips
- Creamy bbq cheese sauce
- Chopped red onion
- Shredded Mexican blend cheese
- Shredded Mozzarella cheese
- Balsamic reduction glaze
- Honey chipotle bbq sauce drizzled
- Green onions sliced
- Cilantro minced
- Red onion chopped
- Balsamic glaze
- Fresh pineapple chopped
- MAKE THE BBQ SAUCE:
- Heat vegetable oil over MED heat in a saucepan and add onions and garlic. Saute for about 5 minutes, until soft and translucent.
- Add remaining ingredients, stir, reduce heat and simmer for about 10 minutes.
- Transfer sauce to a blender or food processor and process until smooth.
- Strain sauce through a fine mesh sieve, by pushing on it with a rubber spatula or back of a spoon. Scoop the solids from the sieve, place in small bowl and set aside.
- BAKE THE CHICKEN:
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Spray a baking dish with cooking spray and place chicken breasts in the dish. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Spread reserved bbq sauce solids over the chicken, and then pour about 3 tablespoons of the strained bbq sauce over the chicken. Turn to coat completely in sauce. Bake chicken for about 15-18 minutes, until fully cooked and juices run clear.
- Remove chicken to a bowl and let sit for 10 minutes. Using two forks, shred chicken and set aside.
- MAKE THE CREAMY BBQ CHEESE SAUCE:
- To a mixing bowl, add creamy bbq cheese sauce ingredients, except cheese, and whisk to combine. Stir in cheese. Mix about half the sauce with the shredded chicken, and set remaining sauce aside.
- ASSEMBLE THE NACHOS:
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Spray a baking dish or cast iron pan with cooking spray, then add tortilla chips. Spoon creamy bbq cheese sauce over the chips, then top with shredded chicken. Sprinkle with chopped red onions, then sprinkle with Mexican cheese and Mozzarella cheese. Drizzle strained bbq sauce over the top of the cheese.
- Bake for about 5-10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and slightly bubbly.
- Add desired toppings and enjoy!
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!
** BBQ sauce recipe adapted from Will Cook For Friends