These Watermelon Margaritas are the ultimate refreshing summer drink! Made with just 3 simple ingredients, you’ll want a cocktail all summer long!
Perfect for any occasion, and SO easy to make! We love easy drink recipes like my Raspberry Peach Lemonade and Boozy Baileys Milkshakes. This is one of my Drinks you’ll definitely want in your recipe box!
WATERMELON MARGARITA RECIPE
Ever since I posted these Classic Margaritas, I’ve been dreaming about this recipe. I LOVE margaritas, and I LOVE watermelon… so why not combine them?
Crisp and sweet, with a little tartness. Perfect for those hot, muggy summer days, parties, or honestly… anytime!
This recipe is for a single 8 oz serving, but can easily be altered for a larger amount if needed.
In the printable recipe card towards the end of the post, if you hover over the servings number, a slider will appear. Toggle that slider any which way you choose, and the recipe card will automatically calculate how much of each ingredient you’ll need!
Just like my classic version, I wanted this recipe to be 100% fresh. No mixes, no bottled juices. Normally I buy a watermelon pre-cubed or sliced from the grocery store, so it’s SO easy to pop a few in a blender and get some fresh juice with a push of a button.
HOW TO MAKE WATERMELON MARGARITAS
- Blend watermelon. Add watermelon cubes to blender and puree. Place a large fine mesh sieve over a large pitcher and pour in the pureed watermelon. Use the back of a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, pressing to remove liquid from the watermelon mixture. Make sure to discard any seeds or solids.
- Rim glasses with lime juice and salt, if desired. Alternately, you could do a sugar rim, or add a bit of lime zest… it’s up to you!
- Fill cocktail shaker 1/2 full of ice. Add watermelon juice, lime juice and tequila.
- Shake for about 10 seconds. Don’t be shy, shake fairly vigorously! Just make sure the shaker lid and cap are on before shaking.
- Pour into glass and garnish. Your drink is ready to serve!
ADDITIONAL COOKING TIPS
- USE FRESH LIME JUICE – I know it’s a hassle, but fresh lime juice tastes infinitely better than the bottled stuff!
- USE A COCKTAIL SHAKER – I tried testing this recipe (for the 8 oz size), and even when the liquids were chilled, they didn’t taste quite as good as compared to being poured into a cocktail shaker and shaken over ice. But if you’re having a big party, you can absolutely skip the shaker to save yourself time!
VARIATIONS OF THIS RECIPE
- SPICY – try adding a jalapeno slice or two to your margarita as a garnish!
- FRUIT – try adding using a different fruit for a different flavor profile. Strawberries, mangoes, pineapples, etc.
- JUICE – for a quicker version, you can use pre-bottled watermelon juice if you’d like.
- FROZEN – rather than using regular ice cubes that just water down your drink, I like to combine the lime juice and watermelon juice and freeze them into ice cubes! Then add those to a blender along with your chilled tequila and viola… frozen margaritas that are allll flavor!
- FLAVORED RIM – instead of plain salt, try adding some lime zest to it and/or tajin chili lime seasoning!
MAKING WATERMELON MARGARITAS AHEAD OF TIME
Whenever I’m making a big batch of these margaritas, I like to mix up my pitcher about 4 hours before I want to serve them. That way it’s nice and chilled already, and doesn’t melt the ice in the cocktail shaker as quickly.
You can also slice up your limes ahead of time, and get your glasses and salt ready to go.
Leftover margaritas should be refrigerated in an airtight container and consumed within 4-5 days.
SPECIAL EQUIPMENT FOR THIS RECIPE
- Large Cocktail Shaker – this holds 30 oz!
- Citrus Juicer – this makes juicing those limes a bit easier.
- Blender – I’ve used this blender for years, and it still works like a charm.
BE SURE TO SCROLL DOWN TO CHECK OUT OTHER READERS’ COMMENTS FOR TIPS AND REVIEWS.
AND DON’T FORGET, IF YOU’VE MADE THIS RECIPE, LEAVE A COMMENT AND PLEASE GIVE IT A STAR RATING LETTING ME KNOW HOW YOU ENJOYED IT!
- 1/2 - 2/3 cup fresh watermelon - cubed
- 1 oz fresh lime juice
- 3 oz tequila - I prefer silver
GARNISH (all optional)
- small watermelon slice
- lime wedge
- fresh mint
- Add pieces of fresh watermelon into a blender or food processor and pulse. Place a large fine mesh sieve over a bowl and pour in the pureed watermelon. Use the back of a wooden spoon or rubber spatula, pressing to remove liquid from the watermelon mixture. Discard solids.
- Fill a cocktail shaker halfway with ice and add in watermelon juice, lime juice, and tequila and shake for about 10 seconds.
- Rim glasses with a bit of lime juice and salt if desired. Add ice cubes to glass.
- Pour margarita into prepared glass and add garnishes as desired (watermelon slice, lime wedge and mint)