Kiss those packets goodbye and make some EASY and lusciously creamy hot chocolate! Add some peppermint, or even some alcohol for an adult version!
Is there anything better than curling up with a mug of steaming, thick and creamy hot chocolate? This is the ultimate, the KING of hot chocolates… no watery flavor here! Just plenty of luscious chocolate flavor, kissed with optional peppermint, and ready in 5 minutes!
Once you try this homemade version… you’ll go straight to your pantry and throw away those mixes, or at least give them away to someone lol.
Making this amazing drink takes literally 5 minutes, probably 10 minutes if you wanted to make your own whipped cream topping.
So sure, it’s a little more time than opening a packet and adding hot water or milk, but not much! And the flavor is tremendously better!
I added a splash of peppermint extract for a light kiss of peppermint flavor in my hot chocolate, but this recipe is fully customizable… add in whichever flavor you’d like. Maybe add in splash of alcohol for a delectable adult treat 😉
Ahhhhhh can you even stand how tempting that looks!?
Not only is this the perfect drink to make to treat yourself or your family, but just imagine serving this to some guests at a holiday party, or even on Christmas day! I guarantee you’ll be getting a lot of big smiles and people coming back for a refill 😉
** Post has been updated with newer photos and republished
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 1 1/2 cups whole milk
- 1 1/2 cups half and half
- 1 cup chocolate chips I used milk chocolate, but use your favorite variety
- 1 1/2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 – 1 tsp peppermint extract optional
- Add milk and half and half to a medium pan and heat over MED heat until simmering around the edges, but not boiling.
- Lower the heat slightly, and add in chocolate. Whisk continuously until chocolate is melted.
- Add in cornstarch and peppermint extract (if using) and continue whisking until smooth and velvety.
- Serve with whipped cream, drizzle of chocolate syrup, marshmallows, peppermint sticks or crushed candy canes.
- FOR HOT WHITE CHOCOLATE:
- Replace regular chocolate chips with white chocolate chips and continue with the recipe
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!
The Chunky Chef is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Leave a Comment