Easy Velveted Chicken Stir Fry
This healthy chicken stir fry is prepared in the authentic Chinese method of velveting. It’s customize-able, so add whatever vegetables you like!
This is a sponsored post written by me on behalf of Simply Potatoes. All opinions are 100% mine.
How much do you love cooking takeout meals at home? Obviously I do, since it seems like every week or so I’m bringing you another takeout-inspired meal lol. This one is super cool… it’s the stir fry you know and love, but cooked in the authentic Chinese cooking style of “velveting”!
Soooooo what exactly is “velveting”? Honestly, before this, I had never even heard of it! It’s a cooking technique that involves marinating the meat in a mixture of egg whites, cornstarch, rice wine, and salt. For this one, I added a bit of sesame oil to the marinade as well. Most of the meats you’ve had from Chinese restaurants, have been velveted!
Now measuring egg whites accurately can be tough… so here’s an awesome solution for you… All Whites liquid egg whites!
Not only are they a healthy source of protein, and a great way to always have egg whites on hand, but they’re also incredibly easy to measure out! They’re found in the refrigerated section of your grocery store.
You can velvet the meat in oil as well… but why add those extra calories? THIS article from Serious Eats showed that there really wasn’t a distinguishable difference between oil velveted and water velveted after the meat had been stir fried. Helllloooooo healthy!
Once you’ve whisked together the velveting marinade, pour it over your chicken and set it in the refrigerator while you bring a pot of water to a boil. Before cooking the chicken, quickly blanch your veggies, and remove with a strainer. Now just carefully drop the marinated chicken into the water and boil for a minute or so, until the meat is opaque, but not cooked through yet. Drain the chicken and let it dry.
At this point, it’s like a regular stir fry… you heat up some oil, add in your garlic and ginger, saute them, then add in your veggies and chicken, cover and steam, toss with sauce and that’s it!
One thing I love about stir fry’s is how customize-able they are! If you aren’t a huge carrot or snow pea fan… feel free to swap for just about anything! Mushrooms, asparagus, peppers, onions, broccoli… the sky’s the limit.
This meal comes together with minimal effort and time, and with maximum taste!! It’s perfect for lunch, or a quick weeknight meal. All Whites has more great healthy recipes at AllWhites Egg Whites Favorites, and you can connect with them via Facebook, AllWhites Egg Whites on Facebook and Pinterest, AllWhites Egg Whites on Pinterest. They also have these great Fitness and Weight Management pages here on AllWhites Egg Whites!!
I served this chicken stir fry over some brown rice, but feel free to make some long grain white rice or even some quinoa to really bump up the protein factor!!
Never miss a recipe!
Easy Velveted Chicken Stir Fry
- CHICKEN VELVETING MARINADE:
- 1 lb . boneless - skinless chicken breasts or tenders, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1/4 cup AllWhites® egg whites
- 2 Tbsp cornstarch
- 1 Tbsp toasted sesame oil
- 1 Tbsp rice wine
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 lb . fresh snow peas
- 1/2 cup julienned carrot
- 1/4 cup sliced water chestnuts
- 2 Tbsp canola or peanut oil - divided
- 4 cloves garlic - finely chopped
- 1 Tbsp grated ginger
- 1/3 - 1/2 cup your favorite stir-fry sauce
- Mix chicken, AllWhites egg whites, cornstarch, rice wine, sesame oil and salt in a medium bowl until thoroughly combined. Cover and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, bring a large pan of water to a boil. Add peas and carrots; cook about 30 seconds or until peas are bright green. Remove with a strainer or slotted spoon to a bowl; reserve hot water.
- Remove chicken from refrigerator. Bring water back to a simmer; stir in 1 tablespoon oil. Add chicken to water, stirring to separate pieces. Cook about 1 minute or until chicken is opaque. Drain chicken.
- Heat remaining 1 tablespoon oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic and ginger; cook and stir until fragrant. Add the sugar snap peas and carrots; cook and stir 1 minute. Add chicken and water chestnuts. Cover and steam 1 to 2 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink in center.
- Toss with stir fry sauce, sprinkle with sliced green onions and sesame seeds.
Recipe from AllWhites
Linked to Made By You Monday | Melt in Your Mouth Mondays | Munching Mondays | Tickle My Tastebuds Tuesdays | Try a New Recipe Tuesday | Take A Look Tuesday | Totally Talented Tuesdays | Lou Lou Girls Fabulous Party | Simple Suppers | What’s Cooking Wednesdays | Whimsy Wednesdays | The Wednesday Roundup | Wordless Wednesday | Showcase Your Talent Thursdays | Full Plate Thursdays | Favorite Things Blog Hop | Foodie Fridays | Fiesta Fridays | Pure Blog Love | Pin Junkie Pin Party | Foodie Friends Friday | Foodie Friday and Everything Else | Fresh Ideas for Your Home | Friday Favorites | Show Stopper | Best of the Weekend | Show and Tell Saturday | Link Party Palooza | Saucy Saturday