Loaded Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole
Creamy, cheesy, and loaded with comforting flavors, this chicken noodle casserole is a great hearty meal your family will love!
Shredded chicken, veggies, bacon, plenty of cheese, a rich creamy sauce, and a crunchy onion topping… hungry yet? This chicken noodle casserole is so hearty and perfect for a family meal!
This post was brought to you by the makers of French’s®. I received compensation to write this post through the #RealFlavorsHaveCrunch program. All opinions expressed are my own.
Whew. I think we all need a collective sigh after the holidays right? Don’t get me wrong, I LOVE Thanksgiving… the food, spending time with family, the time off of work.. it’s all amazing! For those of us who had to actually cook all that fantastic food… it’s also a LOT of work. Work most of us love, but work nonetheless!
So this week, I’m all about the easy dinners. No long involved meals, no long prep times, no 5 pans to wash, etc. That’s why I wanted to share with you all my favorite family-pleasing (and easy) Loaded Cheesy Chicken Noodle Casserole!
Even my picky kiddos eat this casserole (they just pick out the mushrooms… maybe one day they’ll learn to love them lol), which makes this a major winner in my house. Not only because we all love the casserole, but because we all absolutely LOVE the topping.
I make this casserole with plenty of French’s Crispy Fried Onions, which are a staple in our household. I keep a can or two of them in my pantry at all times, because when my kids are being picky, I can sprinkle some of the onions on top… and voila! They magically love the meal!
French’s Crispy Fried Onions are made with real onions for great flavor and crunch, and make a fabulous topping for casseroles, mashed potatoes, burgers or salads!
I’ve seen a couple other chicken noodle casserole recipes, and they tend to stay pretty close to the traditional chicken noodle soup flavors. Nothing against those recipes, but I wanted some big, bold flavors here! So I added things like plenty of crispy bacon, garlic, sautéed mushrooms, and plenty of cheese!
This chicken noodle casserole is made with cooked, shredded chicken, so you have a few options here.
- Leftover chicken – if you have 2 chicken breasts left over from another meal, you can shred it up.
- Rotisserie chicken – the option I usually choose, just shred the meat and it’s good to go.
- Raw chicken – if you don’t have either of those two options, after you cook the bacon, go ahead and cook 2 chicken breasts in the bacon drippings. Let it cool slightly and shred.
- Use turkey – if you have some leftover turkey from a holiday dinner, it makes a great substitute!
The next time you want an incredibly easy weeknight dinner, give this loaded cheesy chicken noodle casserole a try! And don’t forget the best part, the French’s Crispy Fried Onions, they’re the crunch your family will love!!
WANT TO TRY THIS CHICKEN NOODLE CASSEROLE?
PIN THEM TO YOUR DINNER OR CHICKEN BOARD TO SAVE FOR LATER!
FIND ME ON PINTEREST FOR MORE GREAT RECIPES!
Cheesy Loaded Chicken Noodle Casserole
- 1 medium yellow onion, diced
- 4 oz cremini or baby portobello mushrooms, chopped
- 10.75 oz can cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 1 1/4 cups half and half
- pinch kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp black pepper
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 10 slices bacon, diced (divided)
- 2 cups cooked and shredded chicken (leftover chicken or a rotisserie chicken is great for this)
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 12 oz extra wide egg noodles, cooked 1 minute shy of al dente and drained
- 1/2 cup shredded Colby cheese , (divided)
- 2/3 cup shredded mozzarella cheese , (divided)
- 1/2 cup shredded parmesan cheese , (divided)
- 4 oz French's Crispy Fried Onions , (divided)
- Preheat oven to 350 F degrees. Spray a 9x13" baking dish with non-stick cooking spray and set aside.
- In a skillet, cook diced bacon over MED heat until golden and crispy. Remove with a slotted spoon to a paper towel lined plate, reserving the drippings. Add diced onion and chopped mushrooms to bacon drippings and cook over MED HIGH heat, stirring occasionally, until softened and lightly golden, about 5 minutes. Remove with slotted spoon to a large mixing bowl.
- To large mixing bowl, add cream of chicken soup, sour cream, half and half, salt, black pepper and garlic powder. Whisk or stir until smooth. Add shredded chicken, 2/3 of the cooked bacon, frozen peas, 2 oz of the French's crispy fried onions, most of the shredded cheeses (reserving a few Tablespoons of each type), and cooked egg noodles.
- Gently stir to combine well, then transfer to prepared baking dish. Top with remaining cheeses and remaining bacon. Cover dish with foil and bake for 30 minutes, until hot and bubbly. Remove foil, add remaining 2 oz French's crispy fried onions in an even layer, and bake an additional 5-7 minutes, until onions are lightly golden brown.
- Sprinkle casserole with minced parsley if desired and serve hot.