Such a fun and delicious meal… the monte cristo sandwich can be controversial. People either love it or hate it… which are you?
Who loves a monte cristo sandwich? Either loved or hated, this sandwich is packing some serious flavor!! You’ll love the mix of savory and sweet and fun presentation.
Okay, so the Monte Cristo. This sandwich is kind of like the cilantro of the sandwich world… people either love it, or hate it. My husband, definitely not a fan… but me, oh I love them! The balance of sweet and savory is just perfect.
If you’ve never heard of a monte cristo, it’s a classic diner type of food. You basically make a turkey, cheese and ham sandwich, then batter and fry it. Once fried, it’s traditionally dusted with powdered sugar and served alongside some raspberry preserves. Some recipes forgo the fried part, and cook it more like you would french toast… but the versions I’ve loved were fried, so I definitely wanted to heat up some oil for this one.
For a little bit of heat, I slathered some of my Habanero Beer Mustard on the sandwich before battering it. It may seem weird, to add mustard to something that you’ll serve with raspberry preserves… but trust me, those flavors go so perfectly. The mustard also helps cut the sweetness down.
For a little extra protein and yumminess, feel free to add a couple of slices of peppered bacon to the sandwich!
If you’re intrigued by the monte cristo, I hope you give this one a try! I think you’ll really love it 🙂
Recipe adapted from Six Sister’s Stuff.
Originally published on The Weary Chef, then syndicated here 🙂
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 8 slices of bread
- 8 slices Swiss Cheese
- 8-12 slices turkey
- 8-12 slices ham
- Habanero Beer Mustard or favorite mustard
- 1 cup flour
- 1 egg
- 1 Tbsp baking powder
- 1 Tbsp sugar
- tsp ¼ salt
- 1 cup of water
- powder sugar for dusting
- raspberry preserves for dipping
- Line a baking sheet with paper towels and top with a wire cooling rack.
- Add 1-2 inches of vegetable or canola oil to a large heavy bottomed pot over MED heat until about 350 degrees F.
- While oil is heating up, make sandwiches.
- Start with one slice of bread, slather with mustard, top with turkey, top with slices of cheese, top with ham, and finish with another slice bread slathered with mustard (mustard side down).
- To keep the sandwich from falling apart, use toothpicks to secure the corners of the sandwich.
- To a large mixing bowl, add the egg and beat with a whisk. Add in flour, baking powder, sugar, salt and water. Whisk until smooth.
- Dip secured sandwich in batter, making sure to coat all sides.
- Carefully lower sandwich into the hot oil and fry for several minutes per side, or until golden brown.
- Remove sandwich from oil and place on top of the prepared cooling rack.
- Immediately before serving, dust with powdered sugar.
- Serve with raspberry preserves for dipping.
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!