Ultimate Gourmet Grilled Cheese
This gourmet grilled cheese is loaded with herbed caramelized onions, gooey Gruyere and white cheddar cheeses, and is cooked in a savory rosemary butter!
One bite of this ultra savory and gourmet grilled cheese, and you’ll never want a regular grilled cheese again! The crispy bread, cooked in rosemary butter, surrounds the gooey cheeses and an inside layer of sweet herbed caramelized onion… sheer comfort food perfection!
I’ve been wanting to get this recipe on the blog for a while now… but every single time I would make it… ummmm, let’s just say it wasn’t able to be photographed, since it was in my mouth lol. But I FINALLY got it! Let me just tell you, this is quite possibly the best sandwich I’ve ever made. There’s nothing more satisfying and comforting than a crunchy, gooey, melty grilled cheese!
I have a weird thing about yellow cheeses, so I chose my absolute favorite, Gruyere. Of course I had to add some extra cheeses, so I also went with a bit of white cheddar and one thin slice of Muenster 🙂 If you’d prefer a different cheese blend, by all means, go for it!
The hardest thing about this gourmet grilled cheese, is maybe fitting into your pants after you’re done… because you won’t be able to have just one sandwich!
While I think a great sandwich is good all on it’s own… sometimes you just need something to dip it in. I highly recommend my Slow Cooker Creamy Tomato Basil Soup!
If you really want to kick this gourmet grilled cheese up a notch or two… add some prosciutto slices or crispy bacon. Talk about pure heaven!!
Check out the notes section below the recipe for a secret trick to make sure you have the perfect melted cheese 🙂
I hope you all try this ultimate gourmet grilled cheese, I know you’ll just love it!
Ultimate Gourmet Grilled Cheese
- 8 slices good quality bread I used thick cut Artisan bread
- Mayonnaise for spreading
- 12 oz Gruyere cheese sliced thinly OR grated, at room temperature
- 6 oz White cheddar cheese sliced thinly OR grated, at room temperature
- 4 slices thin Muenster cheese at room temperature
- 2 yellow onions diced
- 1 tsp fresh thyme minced
- 2 tsp fresh rosemary minced, divided
- 1 tsp brown sugar
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 3 Tbsp butter divided
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- Add 1 1/2 Tbsp butter and olive oil to a skillet and heat over MED-LOW heat. Add diced onions, salt, pepper, fresh thyme and 1 tsp of fresh rosemary to the hot skillet and saute, stirring often, until onions are soft and starting to brown, about 10 minutes.
- Stir brown sugar into the onions and cook another minute.
- Transfer onions to a plate.
- Spread one side of two pieces of bread with a little bit of mayonnaise.
- To the same skillet, add remaining butter and rosemary, and heat over MED heat. Swirl to coat the bottom of the skillet with the melted butter.
- Add both pieces of bread, mayonnaise side down, and cook until bread is golden brown and crunchy, about 2-3 minutes.
- As soon as you add the bread to the skillet, add a bit of cheese to the top of each piece of bread. Once it starts to melt a little, sprinkle a couple tablespoons of the caramelized onions over the top of one of the pieces of bread.
- When the bread is good and golden brown, sandwich the pieces of bread together and cook on LOW until cheese is fully melted.
- Transfer to a plate, repeat with remaining slices of bread and ingredients.
- Slice and enjoy!