Peppermint Oreo Truffles
Creamy Oreo truffles, flavored with peppermint, coated in rich white chocolate and topped with crushed candy canes.. soon to be your favorite holiday treat!
This simple dessert has an elegant and impressive presentation… only you have to know how EASY it is! Great for the family to make together, you’ll love the richness of the white chocolate paired with the creamy zing from the creamy, chocolatey-peppermint centers.
Do you still have candy canes hanging around after Christmas? I know I sure do. We seem to collect them every winter, without even trying lol. So I found a way to use them up… make some peppermint oreo truffles! Use up the leftovers plus end up with a delicious dessert… win, win!
Oreos are such a classic cookie, one that never gets old to me. I had never made truffles before, and I was surprised at how simple it was… messy, but simple 🙂
My food processor did the work for me… I added my candy canes to the food processor and pulse until they are crushed. Then I removed the crushed pieces and tossed the cookies in the processor, just pulse the oreos until they are fine crumbs. By chopping the candy canes first there will be some, for lack of a technical term, candy cane “dust” in the bottom of the processor. Then when you pulse the oreos, all that peppermint “dust” will be mixed in with the cookies, adding extra peppermint flavor!
Now just mix the cookies with some softened cream cheese and some peppermint extract.
Try not to eat the mixture by the spoonful… seriously, it is GOOD!! Now comes the messy part… scoop about a tablespoon into your hand and roll into a ball, and place on a wax paper lined baking sheet. Continue until all the truffle dough is used up, and freeze the baking sheet for 10 minutes.
The original recipe called for vanilla almond bark, which I couldn’t find too easily, so I used white chocolate and added some vanilla and almond extracts 🙂 Melt your chocolate in a double boiler or a makeshift one (glass bowl over a pot of simmering water), stirring often. Remove the bowl when the chocolate is almost all the way melted, and stir to melt it the last little bit.
Dip each truffle into the melted chocolate and allow the excess chocolate to run off… I used 2 forks to do it. I won’t lie to you, it’s a little tricky, so imperfection is your friend here 🙂 Place on the wax paper lined baking sheet and immediately top with a sprinkle of the crushed candy canes. Continue with remaining truffles. I had some leftover white chocolate, so I added a couple drops of green food coloring and drizzled it over the truffles 🙂 The chocolate will set quickly, and once it has, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.
Recipe adapted from Decor and the Dog
Never miss a recipe!
Peppermint Oreo Truffles
- 1 package of Oreos
- 8 oz cream cheese - softened
- 1 1/2 - 2 tsp peppermint extract
- 16 oz white chocolate chips
- 3/4 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Candy canes for garnish
- Prepare a baking sheet by covering with wax paper.
- Pulse candy canes until crushed, remove to small bowl.
- Pulse oreos until they are fine crumbs, remove to large bowl.
- Combine softened cream cheese with peppermint extract, add crushed oreos and stir to combine thoroughly.
- Scoop out about a tablespoon of the truffle "dough" and roll into a ball with your hands.
- Place ball on prepared baking sheet, continue with remaining dough.
- Freeze the baking sheet for 10 minutes.
- Stir vanilla and almond extracts into the white chocolate chips, then melt white chocolate mixture.
- Dip truffles in the chocolate to coat and allow excess mixture to run off (using 2 forks).
- Place on wax paper lined baking sheet and immediately sprinkle with crushed candy canes.
- Repeat for remaining truffles.
- Once chocolate has set, store in an airtight container in the refrigerator.