Skinny Vanilla Protein Milkshake
This vanilla protein milkshake has less than 200 calories, is low carb, low sugar, and high in protein… yet it tastes like a decadent vanilla shake!
Sometimes you just need a thick, creamy milkshake… one that’s dotted with flecks of warm vanilla beans and tastes like the ultimate indulgence. The best part about this protein milkshake is that it only TASTES decadent… it’s actually super healthy!
**Post may contain affiliate links… meaning if you click on the link and make a purchase, I’ll get a very small percentage in commission. There’s never any extra cost to you, and I only link to products I actually own and use. Your support is greatly appreciated!**
There is an ice cream place here in Ohio that is known for having the BEST malts and milkshakes around (well at least I think they do), and when I was pregnant, I would crave a milkshake or malt from United Dairy Farmers constantly. I’ve tried time and time again to replicate that creamy goodness, and would get it kind of close, but not quite right, which was always super frustrating! Who would have thought that I’d get my closest yet, with a skinny protein milkshake?!
I whipped up this recipe as a part of my low-carb diet, as it’s chock full of protein, so it keeps me full longer than a regular shake! It just amazes me when I’m drinking this thick and creamy shake, that I’m actually drinking something really healthy!!
Because it’s so filling, I like to drink this protein milkshake in the morning with a light breakfast, or in the afternoon when I hit that 2pm crash. Do you get that too? When you’re just chugging along through your day like a boss, then all of a sudden your energy is gone and all you want to do is take a nap. Such a productivity killer!
So you might be looking at that whipped cream on top of the shake and thinking, “well that’s not skinny….”, so let me assure you, it’s totally optional, and I use fat free cream, so it doesn’t undo all the healthiness of the protein milkshake 🙂
The cherries are also optional, but I’m a sucker for a great fresh cherry!
Ways to Make This Protein Milkshake Even Creamier:
- Pour some of the almond milk into an ice cube tray and freeze it. Use the frozen almond milk cubes intead of ice!
- Add a tablespoon of heavy cream (this will alter the nutritional values)
- Make sure to scrape down the sides of the blender to get alllllll the protein powder incorporated
- Use a high-quality protein powder… I like this one!
- Sprinkle in about 1/4 tsp xanthan gum to thicken up the protein milkshake and make it ultra thick and creamy
Feel free to play around with this recipe and add different flavors, such as adding a bit of greek yogurt or fresh fruit!
I hope you guys give this protein milkshake a try… you’ll be amazed by the luxurious dessert flavor, while not blowing your diet!!
Some Helpful Tools to Make This Recipe:
Tera’s Whey Protein Powder – I love the clean, non-chalky taste of this protein powder!
Ninja Professional Blender – No more chunky smoothies… this blender will make the absolute smoothest shake you’ve ever had!
Nielsen Massey Vanilla Bean Paste – My absolute favorite vanilla product, ever!
Xanthan Gum – In case you wanted to use it, this is the product I use for all sorts of things… smoothies, popsicles, salad dressings, etc.
Libbey Ice Cream Soda Glasses – Because a great milkshake deserves a great glass!
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 3/4 tsp vanilla bean paste could also substitute vanilla extract
- 2 level scoops vanilla whey protein powder
- Approximately 5 small squirts of liquid stevia optional
- 1 cup of ice cubes more or less depending on how thick you want your shake
- Swirl of fat free whipped cream I used Reddi-Whip, optional
- Fresh cherries for garnish
Add almond milk, vanilla bean paste, protein powder and stevia to blender.
Process on MED speed for 1 minute to fully mix ingredients, scraping down the sides of blender if needed.
Add ice cubes and process on HIGH speed for an additional minute.
Pour into serving glasses and top with whipped cream and cherry (if using).
2. A splash of heavy cream will also make the milkshake super luxurious, but it will change the nutritional values.