This vanilla protein milkshake has less than 200 calories, is low carb, low sugar, and high in protein… yet it tastes like a decadent vanilla shake!
Sometimes you just need a thick, creamy milkshake… one that’s dotted with flecks of warm vanilla beans and tastes like the ultimate indulgence. The best part about this protein milkshake is that it only TASTES decadent… it’s actually super healthy!
I’ve tried time and time again to replicate the creamy goodness that comes from an ice cream shop’s milkshake. Who would have thought that I’d get my closest yet, with a skinny protein milkshake?!
I whipped up this recipe as a part of my low-carb diet, as it’s chock full of protein, so it keeps me full longer than a regular shake! It just amazes me when I’m drinking this thick and creamy shake, that I’m actually drinking something really healthy!!
Because it’s so filling, I like to drink this protein milkshake in the morning with a light breakfast, or in the afternoon when I hit that 2pm energy crash.
The cherries are optional, but I’m a sucker for a great fresh cherry!
Ways to Make This Protein Milkshake Even Creamier:
- Pour some of the almond milk into an ice cube tray and freeze it. Use the frozen almond milk cubes intead of ice!
- Add a tablespoon of heavy cream (this will alter the nutritional values)
- Make sure to scrape down the sides of the blender to get alllllll the protein powder incorporated
- Use a high-quality protein powder… I like this one!
- Sprinkle in about 1/4 tsp xanthan gum to thicken up the protein milkshake and make it ultra thick and creamy
Feel free to play around with this recipe and add different flavors, such as adding a bit of greek yogurt or fresh fruit!
Some Helpful Tools to Make This Recipe:
Tera’s Whey Protein Powder – I love the clean, non-chalky taste of this protein powder!
Ninja Professional Blender – No more chunky smoothies… this blender will make the absolute smoothest shake you’ve ever had!
Nielsen Massey Vanilla Bean Paste – My absolute favorite vanilla product, ever!
Xanthan Gum – In case you wanted to use it, this is the product I use for all sorts of things… smoothies, popsicles, salad dressings, etc.
Libbey Ice Cream Soda Glasses – Because a great milkshake deserves a great glass!
Did you make this? Be sure to leave a review below and tag me @the_chunky_chef on Facebook and Instagram!
- 2 cups unsweetened vanilla almond milk
- 3/4 tsp vanilla bean paste could also substitute vanilla extract
- 2 level scoops vanilla whey protein powder
- Approximately 5 small squirts of liquid stevia optional
- 1 cup of ice cubes more or less depending on how thick you want your shake
- Swirl of fat free whipped cream I used Reddi-Whip, optional
- Fresh cherries for garnish
- Add almond milk, vanilla bean paste, protein powder and stevia to blender.
- Process on MED speed for 1 minute to fully mix ingredients, scraping down the sides of blender if needed.
- Add ice cubes and process on HIGH speed for an additional minute.
- Pour into serving glasses and top with whipped cream and cherry (if using).
Want to save this recipe for later? Click the heart in the bottom right corner to save to your own recipe box!
2. A splash of heavy cream will also make the milkshake super luxurious, but it will change the nutritional values.
The Chunky Chef is not a dietician or nutritionist, and any nutritional information shared is an estimate. If calorie count and other nutritional values are important to you, we recommend running the ingredients through whichever online nutritional calculator you prefer. Calories can vary quite a bit depending on which brands were used.
Leave a Comment